• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ok, lift + pinion angle=?

Mr.OverKill

NAXJA Forum User
i have 7" in front and 5.5" in the rear, tera flex LCA's and stock UCA's, so my pinion angle is off a few ( 2 or 3 ) degrees{high in the rear due to binding on the LCA's so i had to keep them short by about 1/2" }, rumor has it that the rear should be equal to or higher than the front for handeling charicteristics ect... but with the pinion angle being off wouldn't that cancle out the differance in steering angles????

get those brains smoking on this one!!!!

lets see what we can come up with.

Troy

NO relation between pinion angle in the front and the rear. Each one needs to be adjusted on it's own. In the front, you're walking a fine line between pinion angle to reduce vibrations and caster angle. In the rear, it's going to depend on whether or not you've got an SYE.

At that height, IMHO, you really should have replaced your UCAs. I've got adjustable uppers and lowers. Use the lowers to set wheelbase (and keep the wheel centered in the wheel well) and the uppers to set caster. BTW, I've also installed 2 degree offset balljoints to get some caster back.

but with the pinion angle being off wouldn't that cancle out the differance in steering angles????

oops i meant cast being off. sorry

i'm not getting what your saying cancle out the steering angles maby you can describe it a little better

steagall9301 said:
but with the pinion angle being off wouldn't that cancle out the differance in steering angles????

oops i meant cast being off. sorry

In the front, caster and pinion angle are definitely related. I'm going to assume that your front driveshaft has a double cardan u-joint at the t-case end, and a single u-joint at the axle end. To reduce driveline vibrations, you need an operating angle of less than 3 degrees or so at the axle end u-joint.

As a general rule, you'll reduce caster to eliminate driveline vibrations by tipping the pinion up to point at the t-case front output. At 7" of lift in the front, you'll definitely have less caster than optimal, I suspect 2 to 3 degrees only.

Back