• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Setting up D30 gears?

XJCRAWLER

NAXJA Forum User
Starting on front gears on 1998 D30 HP and was looking for any extra clues on getting the right pinion depth. Having to mess with the oil slingers getting in the way, gets old real fast. Thanks for any info.

You can buy another bearing and use a abrasive flapper to hone out the ID so it slip fits onto the pinion gear then you can get the pinion depth set more easily without dealing with the pressing/pulling the bearing. You can also stack shims under the outer race to give you some adjustment depth wise, but you have to have some large diameter shims handy. Many carrier shims are close to the right diameter of the outer race of the inner bearing. Hope this helps?

FUNKYEE5

or when you pull the old bearings, use them for set up, and get the new ones for the final install.

Sometimes if you use old bearings for setup, you may need slightly less shim due the wear on the old bearing/races vs new ones. Regardless, if the old bearings are in decent shape it should help get you relatively close to the right pinion depth.

FUNKYTEE5

FUNKYTEE5 said:
Sometimes if you use old bearings for setup, you may need slightly less shim due the wear on the old bearing/races vs new ones. Regardless, if the old bearings are in decent shape it should help get you relatively close to the right pinion depth.
FUNKYTEE5
wow. i learned something too. thanks. either way, backlash/depth should be checked after final install.<dur>

Newer D30's (don't know exactly what year) changed to an oil dam only behind the inner pinion race, and the pinion depth is set by a selectable width oil slinger on the pinion. I prefer to use the older D30's standard thin .030" oil slinger from the dealer, and make up the rest of the pinion depth under the inner pinion race, as the earlier xj 30's all did. This would usually net around .025-.030 or so of shim along with the oil dam.

Last newer D30 I did, the gear companies still weren't including the proper parts in their kits to set up the axles. :rattle:

Last edited:
Back