• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Staps instead of sway bars?

muddytires

NAXJA Forum User
I've been reading on here about many people removing the sway bars or using disconects. It might be a strange question , but has anyone tried using limiting straps, like they use on off road race vehicles. The nylon straps connecting axle to frame, limiting too much vehicle roll. I was just thinking that it wouldn't affect the suspension like sway bars do, but also help with safety issues. Has anyone done this? does it work?

muddytires said:
I've been reading on here about many people removing the sway bars or using disconects. It might be a strange question , but has anyone tried using limiting straps, like they use on off road race vehicles. The nylon straps connecting axle to frame, limiting too much vehicle roll. I was just thinking that it wouldn't affect the suspension like sway bars do, but also help with safety issues. Has anyone done this? does it work?
Apples and Oranges. I believe if you were to use limit straps you would roll your Jeep faster in a panic situation. If you fully understand how both setups work you would know they aren't used for the same purpose. Not enough time to explain how each one works. Someone else? :dunno:

While limiting straps my not limit up travel, the will still limit down travel...which is the whole point of using disconnects. I don't think it's a good idea. Limiting straps are permenantly connected...disco's are selectable.

muddytires said:
O.K...... I dont really know anything about limiting straps. I was just wondering if they were an option!
Only if you have so much articulation of your axles that you are worried about damaging your shocks or brake lines when they extend too much.

if you want the sway bar to actually work, then NO. let me explain. when the body "rolls" around a turn, the inside swb link will pull. the axle will push the outside link against the body/swaybar. the swaybar flexes to allow limited suspension movement. this is a rigid setup. if there is is a strap on that <out>side, the inside will still pull against the bar and pull it from the body, but it will just push against the outside strap, giving it slack. and movement. the swb, no longer having any push back on the outside will just pivot in it's bushings, and the the truck will still "roll". hope this helps.

the one place limiting straps will do as you suggest is if you have two settings on them so you can cinch them up tight on the uphill side for a scary off-camber.

Back