• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front drive shaft

Mr.OverKill

NAXJA Forum User
i feel like a fool asking this but i need to, i have an 85 loredo, that said the front d/s has what looks like a cv joint at the t/c and standard u joints at the pinion, ok the question is where does the expad and contraction take place? i see a what looks like a jam nut about 6 inches up the shaft but it looks like it is locked solid. i need to know this stuff because i put between 6 and 7" of lift on it and it looks like the shaft is now too short! is there any one in the san diego area that can hook up and help a guy that is frustrated and in need of advise??? PM me.

Thanks

Troy

ps i searched and didnt find this particular subject

Your 85 came with a GKN style driveshaft which resembles a "stick in a tin can" unless its been converted to something different. If you are going to 6 - 7" of lift you will want to use a different type shaft. The GKN is inferior to the Spicer shafts used from 87, but at even then you may want something better than a stock Spicer shaft (I just started a thread on stock shaft limitations, and I think the stock Spicer shafts aren't cutting it for me any longer. I'm at 6.5")

Heres some limited info on the POS GKN shaft -
http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/SRdriveshafts/driveshafttech.htm

what engine/tranny?
remember when you go to the parts yard to grab your front DS that the different engine tranny configurations had different lengths...

i would definately get a new front DS, just because of what i have read bout that particular model's lack of strength...

oh - and while i was at a parts yard earlier today I saw a 1990-2001 Ford Explorer front driveshaft
CV style with 1310 u-joints - 31" static with about a 3" compression and about a 3" extension...

the boot looked just like the TW boot on my shaft...

forgot to say, it is a chevy 350 with an ax15 5 spd and a np207 transfer case the trany and x-case are in the stock location and the lift is a rustys 4.5 coils with a 2" BB and the rubber was removed in place of a neoprine bumper/ 3/4" block i am fabricating my own long arm kit but just need to keep it driveable till then.

can i adjust the length on that can shaft by about 1"? once i build the long arm i know i will need to have a custom shaft made. when i build the long arms, the axle will be moved forward of where it is now with stock UCA's and the terra flex adjustable LCA's, about a full 3 inches.

thanks
Troy

Back