• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

so i heard something

Dirt

NAXJA Forum User
about using 10" wheels on stock xj axles. I was going to go with a 10" wheel and a 33x12.50 tire but my buddy told me this is not a good idea because of to much stress on the hubs. is there any truth to this. should I just keep with the 8" wheels I already have. Also would the backspacing cause the tire to rub badly with a 6" lift and a 10" wheel? Thanks

i run 10" wheels on my rig no problems after 2 years

personally I wouldn't run a 12.5" wide tire on a 10" rim, but mainly because with an 8" rim, the tire will protect the rim better, than with a 10" rim. Our rims are 8's and they get banged up enough as it is, with 10's, we'd probably be replacing at least one rim a year due to damage from rocks. There's also a general belief that 8's will hold the bead better than 10's, but I cant' say that any of the folks we know that run 10's have any issues with blowing beads.

it's not the width that causes stress, it's how much the tire is stepped out.
For propper geometery you actualy need to step the tires out as you go to large tires. Yes you want to keep them off the springs, but it is also necessary for steering geometry.
Go out too far and the geometery is screwed, and the farther you go the worse it gets. Tires that are out too far cause the rig to dart all over the road from any litle bump or rain puddle, and kill the wheel bearings.

So, to re-phrase, a 10" wheel with 5" backspacing and 33" tires will not cause any more stress than an 8" wheel with 4" backspacing (both have neutral offset), but a 10" wheel with 2.5" backspacing and 31x11.5" tires (common setup on street Jeeps around here) will kill the bearings if the lousy handling doesn't kill the driver first.

thanks, good to know this scientific stuff.
i generally know what to or not to do but some times i have no clue why, but i am still right!!! ( LOL...LOL )

Troy

I am running 10" wheel with 4.50 BS and 33x12.50 tire with no probs around a year. If you run 12.50 tire on stock rim you will rub, actually i dont think you can even get it on. Believe me, I tried it. You have to have some type of BS on whichever wheel you go with. Jeff

10" wheels belong on this rig:
IMG_3001.jpg

thoes are 135/75r10's

Back