• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE Question

j33p3r

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '01 with the NP242 transfer case. Who would you recommend for an SYE kit? I see a lot of them for sale for the NP231. Will that work with the 242?

j33p3r said:
I have an '01 with the NP242 transfer case. Who would you recommend for an SYE kit? I see a lot of them for sale for the NP231. Will that work with the 242?

Take a look here under 'tail shaft conversion kits' (IIRC). Remember that you'll need to do the rear driveshaft at the same time, so this is a fairly good all-at-once approach to take.

No they wont work...they make a hack-n-tap style for the 242's, which evryone seems to dislike. I'm in the same boat....what I'm going to do is just swap the 242 for a 231 and go with the AA kit.

AZ DESERT RAT said:
No they wont work...

Why not? Your assertion is unqualified; please expand on it.

they make a hack-n-tap style for the 242's, which evryone seems to dislike. I'm in the same boat....what I'm going to do is just swap the 242 for a 231 and go with the AA kit.

They make a hack & tap, true, but there's also a 242/231 conversion kit that replaces the tailhousing and output shaft entirely. With this kit available, the added expense (and loss of AWD) inherent with a 231 conversion seems pointless.

I stand corrected!!! I didnt know they had a kit for the 242 that replaced the output shaft?!?!?! I did some searching about 3-4 months ago and didnt find one......thanks for the link!!!

AZ DESERT RAT said:
I stand corrected!!! I didnt know they had a kit for the 242 that replaced the output shaft?!?!?! I did some searching about 3-4 months ago and didnt find one......thanks for the link!!!

No worries :) I should probably point out that that one was for the '96-up cases; they've even got ones for '95-down as well (hell, they even work with the 207!). The full list is here. And yeah, I was pleasantly surprised to find that one as well... The new XJ's a 242, and I definitely do *not* want to lose 4FT when I eventually lift it; it's way too useful in a number of situations.

FYI: that kit is basically a hack-n-tap kit with a yoke, but Tom does the hackin' and tappin' for ya on a stock output shaft. He goes a bit further and has the shaft cut even shorter and resplined (that's how he can use the yoke vs a flange), so you do pick up some extra "shortness" over the RE H&T kit.

Jeepin Jason said:
FYI: that kit is basically a hack-n-tap kit with a yoke, but Tom does the hackin' and tappin' for ya on a stock output shaft. He goes a bit further and has the shaft cut even shorter and resplined (that's how he can use the yoke vs a flange), so you do pick up some extra "shortness" over the RE H&T kit.

Thats what I thought...but wasnt sure!!

My suggestion on this one is to forget the RE hack-n-tap and driveshaft. Just call Tom Woods and order his SYE kit, drive shaft, and get some 4* degree shims if you are running a 6" lift and possibly 2* degree shims if you are 4" or less. The TW kit, I believe is the shortest late model 242 kit on the market. I had to switch out my 6* shims to 4* shims after installing the kit. This is on a 98, AW4, RE 5.5" kit and 8.25 rear. After the money I spent on three new flanges, CV centering joint rebuild (almost the cost of a new complete shaft), I should have just called Tom in the first place. Granted the intial cost is more $700, but there's a $200 dollar deposit.

If you are good and have the tools, time and technology. T/W's kit is basically a stock 242 mainshaft with splines machined into the frist and partial second bearing race after the speedo section, with a hole drilled and tapped in the center. Then using a late model tailhousing section, replace the dust cap and bearing with the correct size beaing and seal that fits the outer race of a 231's front output yoke. Then using a bolt of what ever size you drilled and tapped, RTV, fender and lock washers. you have your self a short 242 SYE kit.

Now this, granted, sounds easy. And it is, but I hope you have a good lathe and the right cutters to put the splines in the shaft, the rest is easy. :lecture:

Back