• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trailer lights on an 89

jeepin_al

NAXJA Forum User
I need to hook up a trailer to my Jeep and couldn't find any pig tails appropriate and when I did a search only found pigtails for 91's and newer. I am going to tie into the lights but I need to know what color wires to tie into. If anyone else has done this I would really appreciate your advice. Thanks alot, AL

This was discussed about a week ago. Search around and you should find the thread.

You can't just tie into the vehicle wiring because the XJ uses separate bulbs for the brake lights and turn indicators. You need an adapter with a logic circuit. Hoppy makes a universal one that will work, and I think the part number might have been posted in that recent discussion.

Did a search and didn't see anything for an 89. I saw the one for 91 and newer but that didn't help much. If anyone could tell me the break light wires I would really appreciate it. I don't have a choice, I am pulling this trailer 200 miles this afternoon. I am not required to have lights during the day but if I don't get there by dark I would rather avoid getting pulled over.

magnetic flashlights with red lense......works great I ahve wired both of mine but dont have acess to em now remember you needa convertor because the xj uses a 6 light systen the trailer a 4 or 2 if not using a convertor the fuse will bolw when you put on the brakes

I just went to U-Haul... they fixed me up and i think instalation and everything cost me less then 30 bucks. defenetly worth the money to advoid the head ach.

jeepin_al said:
Did a search and didn't see anything for an 89. I saw the one for 91 and newer but that didn't help much. If anyone could tell me the break light wires I would really appreciate it. I don't have a choice, I am pulling this trailer 200 miles this afternoon. I am not required to have lights during the day but if I don't get there by dark I would rather avoid getting pulled over.
The brake lights are the bulbs in the red area of the taillights. You can tap those and you'll get taillights and brake lights for the trailer, but you won't have turn signals.

If its an 89 you should have the harness there you just need the plug that gose into it. I went to a pick and pull yard and got the wires. i had to take the left panel behind the spare tire not that hard, and i just pluged it in no splicing or anything.

As I just discoverd not all have the harness, my previous 3 did, but not this one

Oh, what model is yours, mine is a two door sport 1990 i got a trailer hitch and i was shocked because it had the plug there. Mine had now power options so it was a little surprising.

Back