• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tires for milage

thedarkprince

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep is stock save a custom intake and air filter. I need new tires for it and I am seriously considering the yokohama geolander atII. I want tires for on an d off road, and I dont really wheel it at all but want the option to hit a little dirt. I know that the size of the tire is gonna matter a lot in gas milage and was wondering if anyone out there knew the best size to go with. I am currently planning on ordering up some 235/75 R15's.

The effect of 235's is minimal, in my 98 it actually got my spedo to read correctly, it was 8mph slow with the factory 215's...

thedarkprince said:
My jeep is stock save a custom intake and air filter. I need new tires for it and I am seriously considering the yokohama geolander atII. I want tires for on an d off road, and I dont really wheel it at all but want the option to hit a little dirt. I know that the size of the tire is gonna matter a lot in gas milage and was wondering if anyone out there knew the best size to go with. I am currently planning on ordering up some 235/75 R15's.

I have 33in geolander at's and they are the heat I love them on and off road. I don't have carpet and the noise from the tires is non existent. They also seem to be wearing very well as long as I keep them rotated. good luck JOE

I like 235's on the stock Jeep. You get just a little more height and, as Rich notes, it puts the speedometer right on the money. I have Nokian Vaativas on mine at the moment, which seem like a pretty good overall design. They're good on snow, decent on dirt, and very good on the highway, and they are wearing well. They're just a little cheaper than Cooper Discoverers, which are also quite good and seem to wear very well (my stepson has a set of those on his XJ).

ive got the 235 geos your are speaking of on my jeep now with 10k on them. Love them on and off road. I need to get some 31s since i just lifted my jeep if you want to buy mine.

Are you looking for tire mileage, or gas mileage? (Yeah, I know -- both.)

For gas mileage, don't go larger than 235/75R15. Bigger tires drop your highway RPMs below the optimal cruising RPM of the engine and fuel economy suffers.

For all-around tires, I like the Cooper Discoverer LT. Good tread, works well on and off road, and they wear forever. (I put over 100,000 miles on my first set, and they were still barely legal when I got rid of them.) For some reason, though, Cooper doesn't have a tread life warranty on those, but they warranty the Discoverer A/T for 50,000 miles. I haven't tried the A/T, so I don't know if it works as well off road.

For a vehicle used primarily on pavement and looking for gas mileage, I recommend the Cooper Discoverer H/T. Not ideal for rack crawling or deep mud, but an excellent road tire that can still go in the dirt.

The nice thing about Coopers is that they are priced below most "brand name" tires, and they are made in the US of A.

I've got Kelly SUV 235/75R15 on my 1994 4.0L Auto and get 19.5 to 21 MPG with mostly highway miles.

By the way the tire have lasted about 80,000 mile with alignment/ rotation/ 36 psi since install.

Back