• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Shifter?

uvaldetxj

NAXJA Forum User
Do any of you all have this on your rigs? http://awshifting.com/4-0.htm apparently it's a switch that lets you take control of your transmission. Isn't this the same thing as just shifting your automatic to 1-2? I might be wrong, please correct me. If anyone has this product, i'd like some real feedback.

Well, it'll keep your rig in the gear you want it, and function as a manual tranny shifter. If you get bored of shifting, switch it back into auto. Very useful, and keeps the tranny from shifting back and forth between 1st and 2nd.

Brett, I read the entire naxja and pirate forum threads on this. I'm not too competent with transmissions, but the way i understand it, the torque converter is what locks it into a gear? Is it possible to just buy the torque converter toggle switch and simply use it to lock it in first? When I wheel, I only like to stay in first. It sounds like a great product, but I don't really feel the need to shift in and out of every gear.

the torque convertor isn't what holds it in gear, the tranny will shift with the torque convertor locked (though I doubt it's good for it). If you have the floor shifter in 1-2 it will leave it in first gear, it's second gear that you won't get. (I hear it will shift to 2nd at about 4500rpm, but I can't say for sure) If you want to be able to able to lock/unlock the torque convertor there are some writeups online, or I would be willing to ship you a nice toggle switch, wire, splice connectors, and instructions that would make it idiot proof. Email me ([email protected]) if you're interested in that.

You're probably thinking of the torque converter lockup - which is done at cruise to reduce operating heat and make for more efficient cruising.

The AW4 is also electronically shifted - by two solenoids. What Brett does is provide a user-selectable override for the control electronics. At the root of the idea is that, at low speeds, the AW4 has a distinct preference for one of the low gears (I don't recall which - I've been driving a 5-speed too long now.)

His idea is mainly to let you stay in whatever gear you damn well please - but you don't get trapped in any one gear. Something like this can be handy when you're towing - being able to lock into third or second (for compression braking) can be helpful also.

If I was regularly driving an AW4 right now, I'd probably have gotten one - and I'll probably insatll one in the 89 Limited while I'm downtiming it for a bunch of other work - I like the idea, and it can come in handy...

5-90

i tell ya what those shifters are on my next to do list!

Back