• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

nice engine skid...

"Wolz"

NAXJA Forum User
I beg to disagree with ya'll... Not solid mounting points, and there has been damage with this on other vehicles (TJ IIRC). Just my $.03....

Will.

xjwillyb said:
I beg to disagree with ya'll... Not solid mounting points, and there has been damage with this on other vehicles (TJ IIRC). Just my $.03....

Will.

Looks like it'd be better than nothing. A little pricey however.

We've sold probably a dozen or more of those skids, and haven't heard of any complaints from any of our customers.

Will, do you have a link or anything to the damage you mentioned?

I have gotten one from teraflex that is for a TJ that uses te same three bolt to mount the back end but it has no mounting bolts on the front. This one looks better but the tera one is only ~$50 and it may not be too difficult to weld on a similar front mounting point to the skid.

My $.02- there are other skids for a few dollars more that provide full coverage (oil pan sump tp tranny/t-case cross member) which allows you to slide over stuff and not worry about bellhousing, etc. I did have to beef up my Ru#$%'y's with a short piece of 1"x .125" square tubing on each side (inside) to make it more rigid. You can just see the end sticking out in pic-
0054small.jpg

And for those not familiar with the other style-
0055small.jpg

I also run the Rusty's skid, but the reason that i dont like the Nth degree is the motor mounts take all the blows of rocks - the Rusty's attaches to the "frame" and yeah...

im not sure that i like the idea of my stock motor mounts taking the blows from the rocks that i hit...

XJ_ranger said:
...the reason that i dont like the Nth degree is the motor mounts take all the blows of rocks...

oilpanskidchassisside-fullweb.jpg

Take a closer look. I'd worry about the casting at the oil pan flange before I worried about the rubber mounts! I rip a mount and I'm out 45 minutes and a few bucks... break a chunk off the crank case and *BEST CASE* you spend all day with the welder and grinder trying to avoid buying a new short block!

I'll try to dig up the info - If I can remember where I saw it... But like others have mentioned, it's better than nothing. But I would not want my bellhousing/block to come apart - lots of load on very little surface... I don't want to even imagine what would happen if something happened on the trail with this...

I'd spring for a full skid - Tranny and Oil pan; sort of like a belly pan desgin before this..

Will.

Teh problem with the one piece tranny oiol pan skids for XJ's is the exhaust is now trapped between the skid and the rear main seal..not a good thing.

I fabbed my own.. made a frame from 1x1 11ga... tied to the passenger LCA and made a bracket that goes to the unibody behind the motor mount... The tranny cross member is sandwiched by the 1/4" plate...

Then just skinned the frame.

OilFrame2.jpg

under1.jpg

"Teh problem with the one piece tranny oiol pan skids for XJ's is the exhaust is now trapped between the skid and the rear main seal..not a good thing."

It's better than being bashed shut on the trail. IMO of course! (I can change a rear seal)

CORE 4WD said:
"Teh problem with the one piece tranny oiol pan skids for XJ's is the exhaust is now trapped between the skid and the rear main seal..not a good thing."

It's better than being bashed shut on the trail. IMO of course! (I can change a rear seal)

find me one person who has hit it with a rock.......

N2ROCKS of Tidewater Fourwheelers. Vehicle was a YJ but same stupid design. And if I knew the names of all the other people that weren't running the right skids and bashed thier junk I'd print them too! So if you think no one bashes them or anything else underneath then get on a real trail.
PICTURE030small454.jpg

See that rock in front of my diff? It eats driveshafts and you can bet it'll eat exhaust pipes and oil pans. But not mine. Well, maybe my driveshaft! All just in fun, of course. Skid plates-cuz s#%t happens...

CORE 4WD said:
N2ROCKS of Tidewater Fourwheelers. Vehicle was a YJ but same stupid design. And if I knew the names of all the other people that weren't running the right skids and bashed thier junk I'd print them too! So if you think no one bashes them or anything else underneath then get on a real trail.
PICTURE030small454.jpg

See that rock in front of my diff? It eats driveshafts and you can bet it'll eat exhaust pipes and oil pans. But not mine. Well, maybe my driveshaft! All just in fun, of course. Skid plates-cuz s#%t happens...

are you old enough to drive?

The discussion was about the cross over exhaust pipe that sits between the tranny bellhousing and the oil pan. Nice trail pic...is that a class 2 or 2.5 trail?.

No one here is saying dont run skids, the discussion is about which one. I am not sold on any of the designs out there now for an engine tranny skid that is why I dont market one yet.

i made my own engine tranny t case skid for mine, the front is kina like rustys, then it goes to my crossmember, then a tcase skid and the best part of the thing is i wanted it completly flat. its not flat with the uniframe rails but there is nothing to get hung up on it, the bolts all are recessed and it slides over stuff 100X better than the stock crossmember and tcase. sorry but i dont have any pics with the tcase skid on it, just the engine and oilpan skid and crossmember.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/301273098/301279013cfSReJ
sorry its a crappy pic, and yes the bolt spacer has been replaced

kolby

wow let the mud fligging begin! sheesh, grow up all core was sayin is that SOMEWHERE, theres that rock that someone (like you) will look at and scoff at until it puts a hole in thier oil pan and they are stuck on the trail asking everyone to help them out because they chose to argue about whos skid is bigger rather than act like adults and post pictures of rock that have taken precious parts like oil pans and driveshafts.... oh wait someone DID post one of those . :D

Back