• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering pump replacement

Bombero

NAXJA Forum User
This may have been covered before but I thought I would just mention it. I just replaced my power steering pump with one from the auto parts store. All was going well until I tried to remove the pulley from the old pump which was plastic! Of coures it promptly broke! But it may have been my fault...Any way the Jeep dealer had a replacement metal pulley for about $20 plus tax which I felt was not too much considering I got rid of the plastic one. Use lots of anti-sieze compound on all the threads when re assembling. Just an FYI.
Regards

There is a special tool intended to be used for removing and installing the pulley on PS pumps. It can be borrowed from any Auto Zone, and most other parts houses will loan or rent them as well.

You CANNOT, as you found out, "pry" the pulley off the shaft, nor are you supposed to hammer the pulley on the new pump shaft either.

I was using the puller from the auto parts store and I still broke it!
It was probably best because it was pretty brittle looking....
Regards,
Tony

Back