• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sye

Blackash132

NAXJA Forum User
Ok these questions are asked all the time. So please no flaming.I can't find the answer that I'm looking for throughout my searching. I've got a 4 inch Trail master lift in the garage and I've already decided on getting RE full leaf packs fr the back. I have a 1.5 inch Teraflex Shackle back there already. should I get their 3.5 inch springs or 4.5 inch springs?
Anyway that's question one.
Question 2 SYE and drive shaft.
It's a 2000 XJ and I know that I will need both of these, but my parents are moving and want to get the lift out of the garage, the only place I can put it is on my jeep, but at the moment I'm still saving for the SYE and a DS, How bad would it be without for a few months? I drive it everyday mind you, and it's gonna look kinda silly with 30's but what do you think. put it on and fix it later??? thanks

Blackash

Blackash132 said:
Ok these questions are asked all the time. So please no flaming.I can't find the answer that I'm looking for throughout my searching. I've got a 4 inch Trail master lift in the garage and I've already decided on getting RE full leaf packs fr the back. I have a 1.5 inch Teraflex Shackle back there already. should I get their 3.5 inch springs or 4.5 inch springs?
Anyway that's question one.
Question 2 SYE and drive shaft.
It's a 2000 XJ and I know that I will need both of these, but my parents are moving and want to get the lift out of the garage, the only place I can put it is on my jeep, but at the moment I'm still saving for the SYE and a DS, How bad would it be without for a few months? I drive it everyday mind you, and it's gonna look kinda silly with 30's but what do you think. put it on and fix it later??? thanks

Blackash

sure...many hav done it

i have no info on the second part... as for the first... it depends on the kind of ride you like the long shackles will give you a softer ride by lowering the effective spring rate.

97+ XJs are notorious for lots of vibes with any lift and no SYE. I would wait.

If you're going to keep it at 4" I would get the 3.5 RE springs, if you think you may want to move up to about 5 inches in the future, I would get the 4.5 RE and use a stock shackle, then when you want to move up you can add a coil spacer and put the longer shackle back on.

RE lifts give more lift than advertised. I have the RE 3.5" leaf packs and the 1.5" Teraflex shackles and I'm sitting at 6" total lift in the rear.

ok so I'll get the re 3.5 springs, keep the shackle on. I'll see how big of difference it makes with and without the Teraflex spring spacer in the front. want the jeep sitting as even as possible. and I'd still like some more opinions about the SYE, I've heard 2 different versions. has anyone put a 4 inch lift on with no sye and lived to tell about it???:dunno:

thanks again

Blackash132 said:
ok so I'll get the re 3.5 springs, keep the shackle on. I'll see how big of difference it makes with and without the Teraflex spring spacer in the front. want the jeep sitting as even as possible. and I'd still like some more opinions about the SYE, I've heard 2 different versions. has anyone put a 4 inch lift on with no sye and lived to tell about it???:dunno:

thanks again

not on a 96+

another option is to spend the bling on just the SYE unit and get the DS later - drive around in 4hi (fornt wheel drive) till you can get the cash for the rear DS...

that is what i am doing (not for lack of a DS, but for lack of a properly set up rear axle)

Blackash132 said:
I don't think you are suposed to drive 60 or 70 on the highway in 4 hi. that poor Dana 30

havent taken it on the highway and dont plan to till i finish the axle swap...

XJ_ranger said:
havent taken it on the highway and dont plan to till i finish the axle swap...

That's the problem I drive on the Highway everyday for work. Ranger, Where do you suggest I get the SYE/DS from? What kind of prices am I looking at?

After installing a RE 3.5 on my xj the vibes were so bad that I could barely go 10mph. Shims improved this some, but still couldn't get up to any decent road speed. The only thing that worked for me was the SYE & DS swap.
One thing is certain. You won't know for sure untill you do it. All Xj's seem to be different in this respect.

Blackash132 said:
That's the problem I drive on the Highway everyday for work. Ranger, Where do you suggest I get the SYE/DS from? What kind of prices am I looking at?

I see a search in your future...
witchball.gif

A note to everyone new to the boards...We don't mind helping you, help being the keyword in the sentence, but we won't do the work for you. How much you pay for a SYE depends on:
1. Shipping-where you live and how far it is from the place you buy it from
2. Brand-some brands have better quality than others, how much does cost? Do a search and find out. There are a million places that sell SYEs. A simple Google search will give you a ton of hits. Look at our Vendors/Sponsors, they have good prices.
3. Market Value-if every seller has the basic same price for the same unit, then you can pretty much bet, that's the price. If Company X sells SYE A for C amount, and Company Y sells SYE B for D amount, then you have to figure out which one you want more.

I don't want to come off like a prick but we all had to do this research before and like it very much when noobs do the same. If you search and read, the info is out there...

Back