• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo shaft dilema...

red91

NAXJA Forum User
heres the skinny...

Had 3.07 gears, and went to 3.54's and 31's. (don't preach, working on 4.10's and have half of them)

Didn't change the speedo shaft in the T-case. Wanted to this morning( to get the speedo reading right), and pulled mine out...was a small diameter, about an inch across.

The replacement I have, according to go jeep they are the same 91-3, is about 1.5-1.75 in diameter. Now...I know I only need to increase the tooth count from where I was at to 34, since 33 ins't an option.

Seems like a large jump in size for about 3-4 extra teeth.

I'm at a loss. I hate to stick it in there and find it broken and then be up the proverbial creek without paddle.

I know someone has done this....I cant POSSIBLY be the first. ( or can I?)

Input please.

Hey RED you are not only compensating for the gear change but the tire size also. So you are making a major jump... and which 4:10 do ya need?

xjnation said:
Hey RED you are not only compensating for the gear change but the tire size also. So you are making a major jump... and which 4:10 do ya need?

I hated the 3.07's from the beggining. When I put in the 3.54's, it didn't cost me anything, and I was able to slap on the 31's with about the same ratio I had w 3.07's and 235's.

I got a line on a complete 98 front axle assm out of a 4 banger. That is where I'll start. The Dana 44 rear will be a little more tricky, and costly.

I just tried the speedo gear from a 91, auto w 34 teeth, and it wouldn't fit. I figured what the hell.

There was NO WAY I was going to tighten it down and have something go wrong. With kids, $ is tight, and I do most of my stuff on a low budget basis.

The upside is that I got about $500.00 to blow on leafs and springs and I'll have ALL the parts congregated for my 4.5-5 inch lift.

This speedo gear thing has me in a loop. IT should have worked. I took my old one out...it was black with stamped "29" for the tooth count. The one I WAS going to throw in was green, stamped "34", for the tooth count.

I cannot figure out why it won't work. However I have made a friend at a dealership, through work, that would gladly help me, but I'd like to reserve my " I need a favor " cards until absolutely necessary.

Make sure the length is the same; the difference in diameter is one reason you have to clock the housing when it's on. The 34-tooth will be larger in diameter than the 29, because the tooth spacing will be the same.

Yucca-Man said:
Make sure the length is the same; the difference in diameter is one reason you have to clock the housing when it's on. The 34-tooth will be larger in diameter than the 29, because the tooth spacing will be the same.

Length as far as I could tell was the same. But...I didn't measure. It was a do it as quick as I could type deal...I'll measure this weekend.

If they are the same length..I need to "clock" the housing ?

can you extrapolate, Yucca?

I just changed mine (went to 4.56) and I found out that the piece that the gear goes into is a little off center, did you check this if not maybe you can try it again and move it around until the gear slides in. Just a thought I had a stumper for a minute until I noticed the off center part then it was cake. Let me know how it goes. JOE

Back