• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what welders you use?

90txXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i have an old old forney stick welder with the plug settings. any recomendations? im not picky but hopefulley i can get a lincoln 300 roll around with the pulse settings.

I use primarily a Lincoln SP175plus with a 25/75 Co2/Argon mix. Between .023 -> .035 wire I've been able to weld anything I've really needed to. If I ever needed to weld anything over say 1/2" plate I'd just use the old stick welder. The 175 is the perfect size IMO, small enough to carry, big enough to burn through just about anything on an XJ. And relatively cheap too. I got mine for about $800 out the door with a full tank of gas.

over the winter im soo broke...........but my buddy bought me this sears 100amp 110 stick welder..........it works ok...........nothin at all like the miller at the tech school i was takin classes in........they were nuts....300-400amp.....tig/mig/stick...whatever

My school has an old school stick welder that requires you to "patch" the leads in order to change settings. Its so old its got iron wheels :D We have yet to find something it cant burn through, highest amp setting is 250A but we think its under rated and has more amps than it claims. Its nicknamed the "hot glue gun". We just got a Miller 210 wire feed with gas. It works great for us in the shop, theatrical set construction which ranges from 14 gauge up to 1/4" and 3/8" thick material.

At home I have a Miller 175 with gas. It works great and I think its the perfect size for the majority of us Jeepers. It will handle pretty much everything you will weld on a Jeep and as mentioned above its not that hard to move around and can had for less than $1000.

The shop I worked at last summer and also going to be working at this summer has 2 Daytona Mig 175 machines with gas for steel and a Lincoln 210 with gas and spool gun for aluminum. Both machines do great and would be good for Jeep use :)

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
My school has an old school stick welder that requires you to "patch" the leads in order to change settings. Its so old its got iron wheels :D We have yet to find something it cant burn through, highest amp setting is 250A but we think its under rated and has more amps than it claims. Its nicknamed the "hot glue gun". We just got a Miller 210 wire feed with gas. It works great for us in the shop, theatrical set construction which ranges from 14 gauge up to 1/4" and 3/8" thick material.

At home I have a Miller 175 with gas. It works great and I think its the perfect size for the majority of us Jeepers. It will handle pretty much everything you will weld on a Jeep and as mentioned above its not that hard to move around and can had for less than $1000.

The shop I worked at last summer and also going to be working at this summer has 2 Daytona Mig 175 machines with gas for steel and a Lincoln 210 with gas and spool gun for aluminum. Both machines do great and would be good for Jeep use :)

AARON

daaaaam

my HS set crew was lucky to get the air tools that i brought from home for finish nailers...

a welder would have been outta the question...

now at UNL - thats a little different...

only welder i have used is this one:
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/welder.html

that exact one, in that YJ infact

I have a hobart handler 180. i would like to have a miller, but miller owns hobart. if you shop around the hobart is a lot cheaper than the miller, and vitrtually the same. i don't believe the blue box is worth the extra money on these smaller machines. fyi instead of buying a gas bottle from the welding shop you can run staight CO2 which is alot cheaper, burns hotter, and you can pick them up at most bear distributers. it is the same bottles they run on tap systems. all you will need is the adapter which is pretty cheap. if you know what you are doing you can weld 1/2 inch with this setup. i can tell from experience i've been welding for a living for 10 years.

I've got an old weldpak 100 and it works great but has some definit amp limitations both on the high side and the low side. But..... I am about to purchase a miller 180 Syncrowave. I like TIG much better. Besides I want to be able to weld Aluminum.

you can weld aluminium with the hobart you just need the spool gun, very pricey. tig is not welding, it is art. i didn't suggest that because most people are unable. if you are go with the tig. p.s. they just bought me a new 300 amp synchrowave with water cooler at at work. it is absulutely the cadillac of welders

i got me a $60 (used) sears A/c stick welder
230 amp....
it works..... the price was good too
came with a 20 ft power cord which was cool.... i can move it around....
its definately not that great of a welder... but its got a 100% duty cycle (like you even need 100% with stick)
and it just plain works...

mobi-arc on the trail.... (havent needed to use it yet) *knock on wood*

Yea you can weld alumi with a spoolgun but it's now where as clean. Well, I guess thats my opinion. And as for the Syncro 300, You suck! I don't have a spare 5k lying around, gezz I'm having a hard time parting with the $1700 for a 180. It's a good investment though.

Millermatic 210 here.

Kent :)

The Syncrowave may be the Cadillac
These would be the Mack trucks.

Wire machine:
Hobart RC600 - 220V 3 phase / 460V
Hobart model 27 wire feed with .055 wire
Got current? 600 amps worth.

Need to turn two pieces of 6" plate into one?
Stick:
Miller 400SP - 220V 3 phase / 460V
570 amps all day.

Nothing exceeds like excess

Last edited:
XJ_ranger said:
daaaaam

my HS set crew was lucky to get the air tools that i brought from home for finish nailers...

a welder would have been outta the question...

now at UNL - thats a little different...

only welder i have used is this one:
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/welder.html

that exact one, in that YJ infact

This is at college in the scene shop. I am a second year technical theatre major. My high school was lucky to have a cordless drill...

AARON

I went cheap...
Chicago Electric "Dual MIG 131" $175 and
Chicago Electric "ARC-140" $80

I've welded sheet to 3/16 with the MIG and 1/4 to 3/4 with the ARC. the quality is about in-line with my buddy's low end Lincoln stuff, but at about 40% cheaper.

plus, I've got a HF outlet 2 mi from the house that honors the web prices.

Edit: oh yeah and an old oxy/ace rig.

Just got a Millermatic 200 delivered yesterday. My fathers work traded it in for a new Millermatic 250. It was starving for electricity so they sen it out to get looked at and just ended up being a bad connection and the price was so low my dad couldnt resist. We just gotta get some tanks and wire then I'm learning how to weld.

Dean

Back