• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone know about the rough country 6.5

schris

NAXJA Forum User
I am aware rough country is not great, however I am on a budget and i can get a new rough country for around 650.00 6.5". Are they okay and is it worth it. I have a 92 xj now with a 3" lift and 30's want to go much bigger but on a budget. Any ideas thanks alot.

chris

My friend has a rough country on his Tj and it works, it knocks you stupid driving over train tracks and 4 wheelin, but it just makes it more fun. Id personnally get that kit, 6.5 for 650? not bad and if nothing you can change shocks and that should help some
my .02
Ryan

I have the rc kit, but only on the front end. I did a custom rear lift because I did not want my springs to fall apart like the cheap rc kit will do. The front is stiff, but you are not lifting it to make it ride like a caddy. I would get it for 650, but I still like my deal of 150 for the front off e-bay.

thanks guys, I am leaning towards getting it just dont want my teeth to fall out on the highway and the rear to sag alot. If any one has any options about how i could fit 33's comfortable with some flex for a reasonable price let me know. thanks

chris

My brother put Rough Country 4" rear springs on his XJ with 33s after I warned him not to. After the first trip out the right rear has a nice S shape causing to Jeep to sit lower on that side. As the name suggests, they ride rough in the country.......... pretty much ride rough everywhere.

schris said:
thanks guys, I am leaning towards getting it just dont want my teeth to fall out on the highway and the rear to sag alot. If any one has any options about how i could fit 33's comfortable with some flex for a reasonable price let me know. thanks

chris

Why not build a custom rear pack. You can at let achieve 4" there, add a lift shackle and call it good. Get a set of 4.5 coils and a spacer or get 6" coils. Then spend money all that saved money on some good control arms and a good adjustable track bar and HD mount, not the rough country junk. I'm sure if you find the right donor leaves for the rear you'll spend around the same amount of dollars and get a much better lift.

Also you can just do some surgery and trim your fenders and add bump stops, Even with 3" you can fit 33's and if you only go to 4.5" 33's are even easier to fit. That route would be the Cheapest, way under $650.

Then you can spend your money on what is really important, like gears and lockers.

ChuckD said:
Why not build a custom rear pack. You can at let achieve 4" there, add a lift shackle and call it good. Get a set of 4.5 coils and a spacer or get 6" coils. Then spend money all that saved money on some good control arms and a good adjustable track bar and HD mount, not the rough country junk. I'm sure if you find the right donor leaves for the rear you'll spend around the same amount of dollars and get a much better lift.

Also you can just do some surgery and trim your fenders and add bump stops, Even with 3" you can fit 33's and if you only go to 4.5" 33's are even easier to fit. That route would be the Cheapest, way under $650.

Then you can spend your money on what is really important, like gears and lockers.
yup x3.55*10^3.07

I run the 6.5 with the rear springs and I have not had any problems. If you check out their press release on the 6.5 they redesigned the rear springs about two years ago. As for the ride, yeah it is stiffer, but what lift kit isn't? You can't expect a spring to ride as smooth as a stock when you are adding arch unless you don't wont the arch to hold up. With out an increased rate the springs will sag very quickly. And come on guys we all know that XJ's don't ride great anyway since there design is a uni-body. If you want a cushy ride then get a Liberty and stay off the trails.

xseries said:
And come on guys we all know that XJ's don't ride great anyway since there design is a uni-body. If you want a cushy ride then get a Liberty and stay off the trails.

I don't think the unibody is to blame for the rough ride. After all, cars and most (non-truck based) SUVs today are unibody, and not all of them (or any of them? most of them?) ride as rough as my particular XJ or any that I have been in.

Anyway, I have a 3" rough country lift, and yes, it does ride rough, but it's not falling apart on me, either.

When I upgraded to the 6.5 I purchased the nitro shocks, which made a big difference in the ride. However the ride is still stiff, but the bounce is gone which is great.

Back