• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overhead console/temperature sensor question

SilverSportW

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 xj sport and bought a 98 overhead console with the harness and mounting bracket out of a wreck for $30. Well, the mounting was easy enough, but the wiring is causing me a little setback, i read the previous threads and found out that my jeep should be ready to the fuse box for an overhead console...correct? Also, is there a temperature sensor already on my jeep, or at least the wiring to where the temperature sensor should be, included in my engine harness? I robbed the sensor from the wrecked '98 JIC.
P.S. I am feeling pretty good about my deal, since the salvage yard also let me take a complete set of mopar jeep slush mats out of it for $5!
Any help would be appreciated

The wiring for the sensor is already in place for your 2000. The location of the sensor is behind the front bumper, on the centerline, mounted to a cross member just in front of the bottom of the radiator. I am a little confused by your post however. You said that you got the sensor from the wrecked 1998. The location of the sensor is the same for both years.

HTH Stan

The wire harness will fit at the console. You will have to make some changes at the fusebox end because your 98 harness plugs won't fit your 2000 fusebox plugs. You can remove the connectors and direct wire because the harness wires are the same and the wire colors will match up at the fusebox. Do a search for overhead console and you will find more info. Also do a search of postings by Jeepzz. He has done your exact swap and posted some pictures and tips. Consoles on eBay sell for as much as $200.00 you got a good deal.

In addition to Tim's info, another item you will have to deal with is The "remote keyless entry" circuit board. If your xj has RKE its circuit board is attached to the dome light assembly. You will have to swap it with the one that is in the overhead console.

Good luck .....Stan

I did some looking around earlier today and found the wiring to where the temp. sensor should be. My 2000 harness ends @ a female plug end that the robbed '98 sensor snapped right in to. I have the '98 harness and my original 2000 harness, that i am going to combine into one harness, basically keeping the 2000 harness and adding the '98 trip computer wires. I found the plug diagrams in a search (thank you Jeepzz) to convert to my existing fuse box and will give it a try tomm. Once i swap the RKE boards i should be in business. Thanks guys!

Yes, I'm reviving an old thread!! Sorry
I have a 91 which has a console in it and I want to swap the one from my 97 parts jeep in. Has anyone done a new into old swap? I'll do a write up with pix and all if someone can get me started on the wiring.

asatxj said:
Yes, I'm reviving an old thread!! Sorry
I have a 91 which has a console in it and I want to swap the one from my 97 parts jeep in.
It should install without a problem but the only features that will work will be the compass and temperature. The 91 uses a different data bus so the mileage & economy features won't work.

Here is a link for the wiring.
http://www.paceenterprises.us/Projectsnotes.html
HTH
Nathan

Thanks! All I wanted was temp and compass anyway. I know what my mileage is and how far I can go on a tank.

SilverSportW said:
I have a 2000 xj sport and bought a 98 overhead console with the harness and mounting bracket out of a wreck for $30. Well, the mounting was easy enough, but the wiring is causing me a little setback, i read the previous threads and found out that my jeep should be ready to the fuse box for an overhead console...correct? Also, is there a temperature sensor already on my jeep, or at least the wiring to where the temperature sensor should be, included in my engine harness? I robbed the sensor from the wrecked '98 JIC.
P.S. I am feeling pretty good about my deal, since the salvage yard also let me take a complete set of mopar jeep slush mats out of it for $5!
Any help would be appreciated
Good luck on this install ! I have a 98 console in my 99,wired by Jeep dealer and my 99 computer and the circut board in the 98 console are not compatible.The milage and economy stuff will not work,all I have is temp and compass.

Back