• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low operating temperature

Ivan

I Jeep, therefore, I am..
Odd thing I notice today on my '98 with a 5 spd with about 84,000 miles on it. The temp gauge was reading 115 degrees. Then it would jump up to its normal 210 degrees for a bit, then drop again.

Couple things come to mind... t-stat going bad, or perhaps temperature sending unit going bad. What would be your guess? I have notice a very small coolant leak around the t-stat housing, but it sort of looks like crusty looking cooked coolant build up..

I'm away on business so I don't have the luxury of testing my sending unit, which I hope is the problem. I guess I looking for some piece of mind until I get home...

Ivan

Had a thermostat go bad in mine...didn't give any noitceable warning...but it was a fail-safe one and when it went the temp stayed around 115-150. Just my 2 cents. Sounds like sending unit still.

Back