• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tool for removing window crank?

Not sure what year yours is, but on my 94 the plastic hand crank just pulls straight off. It just snaps onto a splined stud that raises and lowers the window. No C-clip or anything. Is this what you're talking about?

I thought I just pulled mine off, on my 87.. strait like, so not to chew it up.

I´ve got a platic one for Chev. (may work) I picked up at Pep Boys, about 35 years ago. Might be something in the "Help" display at your local parts outlet.
If you push hard on the door liner, you can usually get a small screwdriver in there, to push one side of the clip down. If you have the wire C clip type handle.

over2land said:
Is there a tool to do it?

If so, where can I get one?

What year? In my 93 all you have to do is wiggle and pull and they pop off. There's splines and a barbed keeper in the handle holding it on the regulator shaft. It should pop right off If you can't find a clip or screw:)

FUNKYTEE5

There is no clip and there is no tool. Grasp firmly and pull straight out.

A little tip for removing the clip on those vehicles that do have them (not MJ/XJ's), is to use a piece of thin fabric, like tee shirt material. Slide it under the crank, hold it taught, and saw it back and forth as you work your way around the stud. The fabric will catch the ends of the clip and pop it off (and of course it'll go flying away and you'll probably never see it again:))
Jeff

it's an 88 and has four "fingers" that clip into a groove in the shaft.

I tried on a few of them in the junkyard, and either didn't get it off by pulling, or broke it in trying.

I ended up using two small screwdrivers and my knife to pry the fingers up. But I destroyed the door panels doing this.

So, no tool then? Just pull harder?

After the first time you pop one off successfully, it will come easier every time after that.....wait a minute, we still talking about window cranks??? he he

Cory

97-01 window cranks have a small metal retainer clip. I just converted my wifes 97 to all power options and I have all the old parts listed over on the for sale forum board.
I just used a small flat head screwdriver to snap the clips loose.

over2land said:
it's an 88 and has four "fingers" that clip into a groove in the shaft.

I tried on a few of them in the junkyard, and either didn't get it off by pulling, or broke it in trying.

I ended up using two small screwdrivers and my knife to pry the fingers up. But I destroyed the door panels doing this.

So, no tool then? Just pull harder?

Pull harder and wiggle more! HaHA:)

Back