• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RTV Set up time

R

rangerjoe2001

after i apply rtv and put the cover back on.. you wait a while before installing the diff fluid..

can you drive it right after you put the fluid in?

rangerjoe2001 said:
after i apply rtv and put the cover back on.. you wait a while before installing the diff fluid..

can you drive it right after you put the fluid in?

wait for the RTV to skin before putting the cover back on then go eat dinner or something then fill it - should be good to drive right away...

either that or you could read the directions on the back of the tube...

i havent bought the tube yet..

just wondered since my friend asked me.. thx for confirming

he said you had to wait 3 hours after you install the fluid

rangerjoe2001 said:
i havent bought the tube yet..

just wondered since my friend asked me.. thx for confirming

he said you had to wait 3 hours after you install the fluid

dono about 3 hours, but at least 1/2 hr to 45 minutes... when i put my t-case back together we waited 1 hour before re-filling it...

When doing the diffs I put RTV on the cover, bolt it up, and fill. Never had a problem with mine leaking or any others I have done.

When I rebuilt my tranny and t-case the RTV setup for an hour at least because it took at least that long before I had them in the Jeep and filled.

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
When doing the diffs I put RTV on the cover, bolt it up, and fill. Never had a problem with mine leaking or any others I have done.

When I rebuilt my tranny and t-case the RTV setup for an hour at least because it took at least that long before I had them in the Jeep and filled.

AARON

I agree, with the addition that you should let the RTV set up for 5 minutes or so before slapping the cover on. But once it's bolted down, it's as sealed as it is going to get.
Fill'er up and spin the gears.

On the new ULTRA RTV,s you put it together as soon as your done running the bead.It cures in less than 24 hrs.
I have not had a problem with the put it on and fill/drive away.
Wayne

Back