• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Still, a rear drum brake click?

ChandlerXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I already posted about my rear brake problem on my 97XJ (rear drums), where when I'm comming to a stop, my rear brakes will make a click noise like , chug chug chug...chug...chug........chug.............chug...........chug.......car at complete stop. I figure it's something going on in the brake since it slows down intervals the slower I go. This noise is extreamly annoying!!! Not to mention the fact that you can practically FEEL the noise, you know? Would changing the shoes help? Would anything help? Does anyone deal with this problem? Thanks....

Chandler XJ

ChandlerXJ said:
Ok, so I already posted about my rear brake problem on my 97XJ (rear drums), where when I'm comming to a stop, my rear brakes will make a click noise like , chug chug chug...chug...chug........chug.............chug...........chug.......car at complete stop. I figure it's something going on in the brake since it slows down intervals the slower I go. This noise is extreamly annoying!!! Not to mention the fact that you can practically FEEL the noise, you know? Would changing the shoes help? Would anything help? Does anyone deal with this problem? Thanks....

Chandler XJ
take the tire off, take the drum off and see if anything is broken (like the shoe cracked for example) or worn to the metal.

What Kejtar said, it sounds like you are describing really uneven wear, or something caught up in the drum. Elaborating on what he said jack the back up, chock the front wheels or put it in 4wd and park (I like blocks better) just so the sucker doesnt move while you are working on it, release the parking brake pull the wheel, and brake drum, (it may need some gentle persuasion with a bfh,just try not to crack the drum....yeah it can be done....I learned that in my own driveway) sometimes they can get pretty rusty, so pb blaster , kroil; or even wd40 may help get it loose, get out your fsm, or other manual, or friend who knows how this stuff is put together, and start looking around at what doesnt look right....if it's that noisy it may be obvious when you pull the drum.....

Back