• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lock rite extra noisy now

YETI

NAXJA Forum User
WHy would my lock rite all of a sudden be making more noise lately. Started over the weekend.

Here is what i did over tha weekend.

Trimmed up the fenders major to help fit new 36's. Is the lack of sheetmetal letting me hear it more? are the 36's I put on 2 weeks ago putting some more stress on it? If so why all of a sudden did it get louder over the weekend as apposed to 2 weeks ago when I first put them on?
Should I check the gear oil?

I really need a ARB.

hackedxj said:
Synthetic usely is quieter, at least for mine it is. check the oil level and the springs, one may have broke.

ditto that, and I used a higher viscosity oil during the summer to keep mine quiet (i.e. 140 wt) (not in the winter though as it was waaayyy to thick in the cold)

hackedxj said:
Synthetic usely is quieter, at least for mine it is. check the oil level and the springs, one may have broke.

DAMM!
Going to Moab thursday. No time for repairs. WOuld it be real bad to go with a broken spring?

I would say that if you are hearing more of a ratcheting sound then you may be short on oil. Lock right recommends 80w 140 in the manuel. Mine started making more noise, so I topped it off, and a couple of days later, I noticed that the outer axle oil seal started to go south, so keep an eye on your inside tire wall for gear oil. With the 36's you might just be making it ratchet more, and quicker, due to the change in tire circumference. just a thought.

Steele said:
I would say that if you are hearing more of a ratcheting sound then you may be short on oil. Lock right recommends 80w 140 in the manuel. Mine started making more noise, so I topped it off, and a couple of days later, I noticed that the outer axle oil seal started to go south, so keep an eye on your inside tire wall for gear oil. With the 36's you might just be making it ratchet more, and quicker, due to the change in tire circumference. just a thought.

Why would this start happening 2 weeks later though? Still waiting to hear from the shop.

Thanks for the help guys

Back