• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter Relay Part #? for 87, 4.0

jth877

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting conflicting part #'s here. No one lists a starter relay for 87, but they do list one for 88-90 as sorensen SR21. I searched the forum and someone else stated SR14, but didn't provide a year. Can you help me?

Bypass with a Bosch relay. I just pulled the lead from the key "start" position to actuate the coil relay, and pulled the terminal for the start solenoid (on the starter) to the NO terminal on the relay. The "common" terminal on the relay is fed from battery power, and the other side of the coil goes to (as I recall) ground.

I got tired of buying start relays for my 88 one summer and did this - and haven't had a bit of trouble since. The original relay is still in place - mainly because I haven't redone the rest of the wiring and relocated the power distribution yet...

5-90

The only difference in the 87 and the 88 and later Renix, is the 88 and later has an extra pole for the ballast resistor (marked usually "BAL" sometimes "F") that you can leave blank on your 87.

Back