• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OME lift quest

noresttill

NAXJA Forum User
I want to improve the quality of my ride in the 96. I was thinking just replace the shocks with ome, but if I do the whole 2in lift, will it ride even better? Im not really getting all that much sag and I want to keep my 235's for mpg reasons (will this lift decrease mpg at all?)

First off, welcome to the boards.
Next, IIRC I think I have heard more than one person talk about the good ride characteristics of OME shocks. I am not sure that lift will increase the comfort of the ride (I noticed mine was much stiffer with the new springs). However, if you're just doing spacers, then it may not be all that rough.
Lastly, the lift does not have an impact on mpg that is a tire size thing. If you keep the same size tires, you shouldn't see any difference in mpg. HTH.

The OME lift is the cush ride setup, the springs are much more flexible and ride like a dream. After riding in one the stock suspension feels like riding in a CJ or YJ... but then the OME suspension was built for basically gravel roads in australia at hiway speeds. When I was at northwest cape back in the 70's alot of guys there told me that 95%+ of the aussie roads are like that, only in the cities are they paved.

Wow, good to know. The spring pack I installed (Rustys) is much stiffer than the stock saggy ones were. Definite difference. Probably wouldn't want my wifes to be quite so rough. I'll have to look into OME for hers.

Believe it or not an XJ can even be less aerodynamic with more stuff exposed underneath. I would not be surprised at all if your mileage decreases at a higher ride height with the same tire size.

Ride comfort is a very individual thing. When I installed the OME 2" lift and shocks, I was surprised at how much firmer the ride was. It handled much better off road but was not any more comfortable. If your stock shocks are worn out, you may be better off with an inexpensive, after-market shock by Monroe or similar. The OME shocks are a little longer than stock and required an inch spacer under the bumpstops to prevent bottoming of the shocks.

Every modification I have made- lifts, bigger tires, etc has caused a decrease in mileage. When it was stock, it averaged 20 mpg. The 235s caused, maybe a 1 mpg decrease in mileage.
Now with a 3" lift and 30" tires, it's more like 16-18 mpg. When I upgrade to 31"s, it will need to be regeared to a 4.10 to retain and maybe regain a little mileage.YMMV

I found the OME spring/shock package to be more firm than the stock spring/shock package.
Lets not confuse that with diminished ride quality.
My friends BMW 3 series has a more firm ride than my Mustang, but I bet I don't have to tell you which one rides nicer.

RichP said:
the OME suspension was built for basically gravel roads in australia at hiway speeds.
The route into trails around here usually run up thru dried out washes and not so maintained forest service roads. The way the truck soaks up bumps whoops and drops at speed is unbelievable. It is very firmly planted to the ground, never seems to rebound hard or bottom out and is never harsh... just soaks it all up... As good as the setup flex's and rides, it's on un-even terrain at speed that really impresses me about the kit.

I would definatly buy OME products agin.

I got 20-21mpg before the lift, and still do.

Good Luck.

Dirk Pitt said:
Believe it or not an XJ can even be less aerodynamic with more stuff exposed underneath. I would not be surprised at all if your mileage decreases at a higher ride height with the same tire size.

yup - i went from 20 - 22 at stock height to 16-18 at 4.5"

now that im at 6" with the same tires and gears - ill have to check it out...

thank you everyone. As it seems to me, this will probably be lift (im not going any bigger in this xj anyways) and I want to do it right. $800 is pretty steap though, especially for a college student. Any Ideas where the best prices will be?? Im planning on doing it over the summer if everything works out fine.

again thanks

$800 is not that expensive considering you are getting complete spring packs and new coil springs PLUS shocks. The cheapest I have seen them for is $750.

I've heard ARB is going to raise their prices in a few weeks, so hurry up and order the kit. You can find some places online that offer free shipping on OME products.

Back