• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trip to the parts store

cherowagon

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so my adventure today down to NAPA lead me to this. I was after some stock front YJ brake hoses, but here is what happened:

1st off, and I know this is gonna sound stupid, but there is no such thing as a '96 wrangler??? My XJ is a '96, so I was looking for break lines for the same year. So, I got some lines from a '95 YJ coming. Are they gonna be the same?

Next delima (sp) was I have no friggin' clue if I have ABS or not. Aside fomr going out and stomping on the brake at 30 mph, how can I tell? The lines they got coming are for a non-ABS system, but these could be wrong. Can anyone help me?

look on the front axle inside the knuckle where the u joint is.. if ya got abs there is a little cog looking thing on the inner shft with a sensor

Yjs stopped in 95 and TJs started in 97. No 96s. I just ordered 2 front non abs 95 YJ lines today as well. You definatly got what you wanted as long as you dont have abs. A good way to check is to look next to the u joint on the axleshaft, on the wheel/knuckle side. Theres a tone ring. It kinda looks like a peice of tube with a bunch of slots cut in it. Also, theres a wire running up with the stock brakeline. I'm pretty sure the only difference between abs and non abs lines is the mounting bracket having a spot for the abs wire to clip to. ABS brake hoses are a lot more expensive then non ABS ones, so pray you don't have it.

cherowagon said:
ok, so my adventure today down to NAPA lead me to this. I was after some stock front YJ brake hoses, but here is what happened:

1st off, and I know this is gonna sound stupid, but there is no such thing as a '96 wrangler??? My XJ is a '96, so I was looking for break lines for the same year. So, I got some lines from a '95 YJ coming. Are they gonna be the same?
No such thing officially...though there was a span of so many months they were built in 96. But no 96 model.
Next delima (sp) was I have no friggin' clue if I have ABS or not. Aside fomr going out and stomping on the brake at 30 mph, how can I tell? The lines they got coming are for a non-ABS system, but these could be wrong. Can anyone help me?

Look at your lines going to the knuckles. Do you only have the brake line you're replacing? Or does it look like this with the second small line next to it?
wheelbear0017.JPG

The 'cog' the other guy was talking about was a tone ring...the toothy outer ring there.
wheelbear0012.JPG

Back