• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much rear driveshaft travel occurs...

a-mechanic

NAXJA Forum User
from compression to extension? on an average lifted cherokee It can't travel alot, how much slip is needed?

While the axle is articulating, if you think about it, the differential stays in one general area as each side of the axle goes up or down. dont get me wrong, it does move up and down as the axle articulates. but if you are doing stuff like racing or something where the vehicle is really bouncing or anything where the entire axle is compressing or unloading, that is where alot of travel in the rear driveshaft occurs.

Tom

If you leave the ground (jump) and return to the ground the rear diff can travel around a foot or more...BUT..the slip distance is still only a couple inches on the driveshaft.

In my opinion...It is better to have extra slip room, than it is to lose a driveshaft.

John

Haha, yeah thats a good idea. its amazing seeing how much slip and suspension travel the desert racers and trophy trucks have on there undercarriage cameras.

Tom

yeah, you can only have so much of the splines in at one time. anything longer than say 6" is just gonna be left out.

keep in mind this thought... as your suspension cycles down it also swing forward on the front spring eyes. you only ever use about 1" of slip travel. and that is full wheel travel in the rear. maybe 1.5"s. most aftermarket driveshafts will offer about 4.5" of travel that will rarely ever get used. or never. but the cool thing is that if your front shaft and rear shaft have are within 3" from eachother in length then its possible to only carry a single spare. my front shaft measures within 1" of my rear shaft.

jeepguy97 said:
(music starts)...How much slip would a slip yoke have if a slip yoke could have slip?...(cut music). How much lift is average?

please remember that when talking about the slip splines in the driveshaft - that is a slip joint...

the yoke is the part that the u-joints sit in, and on the back of the stock trannies - that means it serves both purposes, and is called a slip yoke...

Rawbrown said:
keep in mind this thought... as your suspension cycles down it also swing forward on the front spring eyes. you only ever use about 1" of slip travel. and that is full wheel travel in the rear. maybe 1.5"s. most aftermarket driveshafts will offer about 4.5" of travel that will rarely ever get used. or never. but the cool thing is that if your front shaft and rear shaft have are within 3" from eachother in length then its possible to only carry a single spare. my front shaft measures within 1" of my rear shaft.

someone has an aw4...

with the ax-15 - this is a no go... my front shaft measures 29" static and the rear shaft is 35"...

Rawbrown said:

True. I run stock front shafts, front and rear (HD SYE of course) with an AW4/231 combo. The stock front shaft (in the rear) is a little short offering only about 3/4" of extension left but it works great so far.

Back