• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine cleaning

ZPD

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have experience with Seafoam or Marvel mystery oil or equivilent?
I bought a MJ and the oil looks more like tar than anything else.

Notice I didn't say who was guilty ;)
I got thing put back together this weekend and took it around the block and it was running kinda rough. I pulled the dipstick out when I got home and I couldn't even wipe the sludge off of the dipstick.

I like marvels we used it at the shop for all kinds of things also another route is to drain the oil buy a cheap oil filter and fill with auto tranny fluid and run it for 10-15 miles then change with clean oil and filter.

Only In A Jeep XJ said:
I like marvels we used it at the shop for all kinds of things also another route is to drain the oil buy a cheap oil filter and fill with auto tranny fluid and run it for 10-15 miles then change with clean oil and filter.
never heard of this approach do you mind explaining why you would do that with tranny fluid..thanks..
Maier

Grifter144 said:
never heard of this approach do you mind explaining why you would do that with tranny fluid..thanks..
Maier

It is thinner than the engine oil and can get into areas carbon and old oil have built up. I have done it several times and there is several post as to this process of cleaning the inside of the motor.

I have tried a quart of tranny fluid in place of one of the quarts of motor oil and run for 500 miles. Ford type F is suppose to work the best. On the Bob is the Oil Guy board they like Auto RX or there's another product they like too. Cant remember its name. Auto RX is a process though. I have used Berryman's Chem B-12, Oil Flush, SeaFoam and some others. Chem B-12 and Oil Flush are a bit severe. Sea Foam shouldn't hurt. I think Risolene also sells something that replaces a quart of oil and clean the engine. I think you run it for 3K. Synthetic oils might help clean it out, but if its an old engine, it might clean out gunk thats acting like the seals. Then you get oil leaks.
Tom

You never run pure ATF in the engine, it is not a real good lubricant, it's more of a hydraulic fluid, add a quart maybe and let it run for a few minutes, you can also add kero and do the same thing but dont drive it or over rev it, just let it idle for 10-15 minutes, both kero and atf are very high detergent. Then do the oil and filter change with cheap oil and keep an eye on it. The kero or atf will soak into the sludge and even after draining it it will over time start to break it down which will start clogging the oil filter at which point the bypass kicks in and you are running unfiltered oil. You need to check the dipstick every 5 or 6 hours of driving and when you can no longer read the marks or words on it change the filter and add a quart of oil.
Running synthetic full or half strength will clean it a bit more gradually and with no danger to the bearings and stuff. Then you also need to keep an eye on the dipstick and change the filter as needed.. don't be fooled with the premixed semi-synthetic, do the math, just pick up 3 quarts of organic motor oil and 3 quarts of synthetic, then you will have a 50/50 mix.
I've used seafoam in the gas tank, cleaning the carbon out and thats about it, Oh, did put in the oldsmobiles transaxle to try and clean that up but it did not work, ended up replacing the transaxle a month later but it was on it's way out anyway..

Back