• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

serpentine belt removal?

Y2kSport

NAXJA Forum User
What tool will i need? Local shop is asking 100 bucks to do it, and no way i'd pay that much. I did it on my 94 Mustang GT last year, and it was a simple 10 min job getting it out and replacing it. I'm assuming it is the same on the 4.0.

I don't have much of a tool selection and was wondering what tool(s) i needed to get at the tensioner. It looks to be a tight fit with the fans so close by. I just wanted to make sure i had the right tool(s) in mind before i went to the parts store.

Thanks.

13mm and 15mm sockets. 2 bolts in the front, (1 nut on bolt tensioner, 1 bolt on PS Pump Bracket) 2 or 3 on back to loosen the PS Pump. (easier to get at those from underneath)

Belt is about $25 bucks at NAPA

Do yourself a favor, invest in a serpentine belt removal wrench, all the tool trucks sell them, they are a 18-20" long ratchet type box wrench that has all 4 different sizes on them. They cost about $20 or so and are a life saver. Problem is that the bolt you need to loosen on the idler pulley is so close to the electric fan that a normal wratchet won't fit and a noramal box/open wrench has just the wrong angle to get in there.
Step one: Loosen the idler wheel under the PS pump just a tad, maybe a 1/2 turn. Then there is a bolt to the left of the PS pump that runs down into the PS pump bracket, this is what moves the idler up and down [loosen and tighten]. Start turning, careful of the temperature sender though, that gets in the way a bit. Then comes the fun of snaking the old belt out and snaking the new belt in.
Once you have it routed correctly start tightening that adjuster, stick a crikit II belt tension gauge [available from napa for $14] on the belt and adjust tension to 190lbs on a new belt or 160lbs on a 'used' belt, used being defined as one running for 15min or longer. Then tighten the idler back down.
When I do the belts on all of our jeeps I also replace the idler wheel as a good practice thing...

Hehe, a bit more work than my old mustang. That was a simple job. Loosen tensioner, slip belt off, and put belt back on. Xj seems to be a bit more work. Why? tighter compartment? It's still manageable though. I'll take a crack at it this weekend.

Thanks.

RichP said:
Do yourself a favor, invest in a serpentine belt removal wrench, all the tool trucks sell them, they are a 18-20" long ratchet type box wrench that has all 4 different sizes on them. They cost about $20 or so and are a life saver. Problem is that the bolt you need to loosen on the idler pulley is so close to the electric fan that a normal wratchet won't fit and a noramal box/open wrench has just the wrong angle to get in there.

My ratchet fits in there just fine.. I disconnect the hose that runs over to the air filter box, push it out of the way, and use a standard snap-on 3/8" drive ratched (7" handle) and it takes under a minute to change it.

cal said:
My ratchet fits in there just fine.. I disconnect the hose that runs over to the air filter box, push it out of the way, and use a standard snap-on 3/8" drive ratched (7" handle) and it takes under a minute to change it.

Lets see, snap-on thin 3/8" ratchet,$150- $200, snap-on socket ?? $20 maybe. VS
$30 for the correct tool that pretty much fits everything out there...
My craftsman thin ratchet with craftsman socket does not clear, the 97+ fans might be abit thicker or something.

Its easy as pie to remove the fan. Unplug it, loosen 2 bolts on the radiator support and pull it straight up out of its bottom clips.
After its out, its easy to gain access. Just loosen up the tensioner and PS pump and you're good to go. Did mine on my 98' last Sept in about 30 minutes. No special tools at all needed.

Just be careful when disconnecting it, my 98 has a double lock on that electric fan connector, just when you think it's ready to unplug the other one stops you, almost broke till I figured it out. I used to do it that way till I got the wrench. Removing the fan does make it a bit easier to route the belt though.

Back