• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OHH, my RENIX!!

pbandj

NAXJA Forum User
sounds medical, doesn't it? I'd almost rather have some medical malady then these stupid fuel injection glitches which are costing me more than my last trip to the ER....
anyway- this is about my little 88 4.0 like usual, being a brat.
this is about the most unscientific question I've ever asked a group of techies, but can anyone tell me on their ~88ish~ 4.0 which fuel injector harness electrical plug has longer lead wires- the #5 or #6? (front to back of course) this will sound absolutely ridiculous to some of you OCD wrenchers but when I took my injection harness off last time I only labeled 5 of the 6 injector plug ins and I "though" I did 1-5 and labeling 6 would have been a redundant waste of time/tape/sharpie, but after studying the grease smudged piece of tape it really looks like a 6.... my engine idles rough either way --but it runs either way-- which seems strange if 2 cylinders were getting screwy gas....

sooo why don't we make this a little informal poll? you tell me your length (OF WIRE SICKO!) and I'll award the gold star to whoever laughs at me the least

thanks

They were scrambled on one of my XJs when I bought it. I figured them out by wire color which you can dig out of the FSM. It doesn't tend to matter because they are batch fired instead of being sequentially fired. They may be fired in two batches with the Renix, but I'm not certain.

According to my sources, at least for 89 and 90, the colors are as follows: 6=brown, 5=white, 4= yellow, 3=tan, 2= LtGreen, 1 = LtBlue.

Different sources disagree on whether the Renix is batch-fired or sequential. I'm waiting for someone to hook up a bunch of noid lights on one and answer it definitively.

my vote is sequencial since it runs rough if you reverse them someone grab the noid lights...the colors sound right to me the trobule is they all look blk with greese

Renix ain't called MPI (multi point injection) because it opens all injectors at once. It also uses the camshaft position sensor to determine #1 for fuel sequential injector operation.

You can make a simple noid light with an LED & resistor. With all of the "bling-bling" lately I'm surprised somebody hasn't permanently installed LED's on every injector for a light show under the hood?

pbandj said:
hmm, what size resistor for that light show?

Let's see, injector DC coil resistance is about 16 ohms @ 68F? 100-1000 ohms would be a good place to start in series with the LED? Parallel that little circuit with the injector and proper polarity, it should flash everytime the injector fires without robbing too much mA and/or frying the LED. Polarity can be found easy enough by just trying it either way. Reverse condition will appear as an open to the injector circuit.

Back