• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Drive-Line Component Swap

chilibill

NAXJA Forum User
I am a non-mechanically inclined owner of a 1990 XJ which is pretty much stock at the moment with 3:55 gears, Dana 35C rear axle with TraxLoc, Dana M30 front axle, A4W transmission and Selec-Trac 4WD system. At the risk of starting several small wars, I hope members of this forum can give me some advice. I plan to modify the XJ for use in the rocks of southern Arizona, but will use it on the beach in Mexico. I plan to change the gearing to 3:73 or 4:10.

Which of these drive line components should be replaced to improve strength and dependability? In the case of a rear axle, which replacement options are setup for disk brakes and as close to “bolt on” as possible? What problems should I expect during the swap?

What are good sources for these parts and what prices should I expect?

Welcome to AZ side of NAXJA!.

rear axle a frd b.b from a exploder iw simple and a serch here will give you tons of info on it

also a isuzu rodeo 94-97 dana 44 has discs and is even easier to put in

go 4:10s at least and many older xj's 84 to 86 came stock with 4:10 gears stock in the axles can find a bunch jsut look around. The dana 30 will hold up to the beach and rocks fine if you DRIVE it and not hammer it.

4.5" lift Rubicon express is the best, and 32" tires will get you over 99% of the trail in AZ

and front and rear loockers are a necessity too down the road

chilibill said:
I am a non-mechanically inclined owner of a 1990 XJ which is pretty much stock at the moment with 3:55 gears, Dana 35C rear axle with TraxLoc, Dana M30 front axle, A4W transmission and Selec-Trac 4WD system. At the risk of starting several small wars, I hope members of this forum can give me some advice. I plan to modify the XJ for use in the rocks of southern Arizona, but will use it on the beach in Mexico. I plan to change the gearing to 3:73 or 4:10.

Which of these drive line components should be replaced to improve strength and dependability? In the case of a rear axle, which replacement options are setup for disk brakes and as close to “bolt on” as possible? What problems should I expect during the swap?

What are good sources for these parts and what prices should I expect?

The dana 30 is good, I would replace the D35 with (to stay cheap) a 29 spline 8.25 off of a newer cherokee. You probably dont need rear disc brakes, especially if you stay under 33" tires. The RE 4.5" lift with rear spring pack is the best bang for your buck, and will let you run 32" tires without any further mod. If you shop around, you can get the rear end for 2-3 hundred bucks used ready to bolt on, and the lift for $700. If you go larger than 31" tires, you want to gear closer to 4.56 instead of 4.11. Regearing isnt cheap, but its money well spent. You should consider having a rear locker put on while you are regearing, if money is an issue consider the "no slip" (powertrax). It's decent and cheap. Front lockers always start a holy war (selectable vs full time etc etc). By the time you -need- a front locker, you shouldn't have to ask for help picking one anymore.

Just my $.02, but I'm sure there are a lot more experianced opinions available here.
-Cal

Back