• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 axle seals and EZ locker

GroversXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have an EZ locker in my D35 (which I didn't install so I don't have any directions) and recently found that the oil is leaking past the outter axle seals and soaking my rear drums. I need to get the axles out to replace the seals but the Haynes manual I have doesn't accuratly describe how to do it. I believe the manual is for 84-93 cherokees and it says nothing about a C clip which I believe my '90 is susposed to have. Anyways I tried doing what it said in the manual to remove the axle shaft ( unbolting the brake backing plate and pulling the shafts out) just in case, yet nothing happened, as expected.
My questions are do I have the c clip axle I believe I have? ( I have found mixed results online mostly pointing to me having the c clips)
And how do I pull them suckers out (EZ locker, is it different that open carrier for c clip removal) so I can remove the axle shafts?
I know I should get a FSM but we're having a baby in a two weeks and funds are tight. Thanks for any help you can give me.

If you do indeed have c clips then you need to take off the cover, drain the oil, and I usually start by removing the springs in the locker, just use a small flat head screw driver. Then you will need a 1/4 flat wrench to remove the cross shaft. pull the cross shaft out and then its just like haynes says, push in on the axle shaft to expose the c clip, slip the c clip out and pull the shaft. That will get you to the seal that you need to replace.

Im thinking about purchasing a EZ locker for 150-175 someone is selling, what are the reviews for it? worth it or not, its in good shape and just needs the spring kit
Ryan

this thread has been hijacked!...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info, it looked like I'd have to undo the bolt and remove the cross shaft but I wasn't sure if anything had to be done with the springs.

Can anyone confirm that a 90' has a c clip D35 for sure?

Here's how you tell if it's c-clip or not. A c-clipped axle will have the same tube diameter all the way out to the backing plates. Non c-clip will increase the tube diameter before the brake backing plates.

Back