• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

before I buy an owner's manual

rianardo

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

There's owner's manuals and shop manuals for my Civics scanned and posted on the Web. Are there such animals on the Web for XJs? I'd really like to have one for my '94 as I'm unfamiliar with operating the transfer case (well, I know how to pull the lever but I don't know the conditions, speed, parameters, etc.).

Please post links if you know...thanks!

Ya,
Rian

On my 88 XJ the owner's manual says I can go from 2 hi to 4 hi at any legal speed, the US speed limit was 55 mph when they wrote the manual. To go from 4 hi to 4 lo I need to be moving forward at 2-3 mph and then pull it into 4 hi. I found the easiest way to get out of 4 hi is to stop the vehicle, put the transmission Neutra and then shift the transfercase to 4 hi or 4 lo. I go into 4 lo about once a year so I always check the book to make sure. You do need an owner's manual

With web posted information is may or may not be accurate, in your case it may be the US version but the Canadian version is different in the area you are interest in. Also I have adopted the attitude IF I use the information THEN I need to pay the author for their effort. To me you can go to the library and look it up in reference copy, but to have a digital copy which you got for free is just wrong. Now the end of my protection of copyright speach - :)

I highly recommend you buy all the manuals for your XJ from Jeep, they will more than pay for themselves with the jobs you can do with their information.

A place I'd turst the informtion is www.alldatadiy.com they offer a 1 year subscription for one vehicle for US$25. I recommend manuals plus alldata to maintain your XJ, not sure if alldata makes an allowance for Canadian models. You have access to all the Technical Service bullitens for the vehicle. I read through the list and found a few minor things i could fix on my 88 XJ. Also Alldata gives you procedures, book labor hours, OEM part numbers & cost.

If you want to save some money go with Alldata first then buy the manuals. You should get your codes and reset procedures from them.

Last edited:
Another option for a FSM (Factory Service Manual) is through www.techauthority.com - 1994 is the earliest year they have listed. You can get the FSM on CD (make a backup) or in paper form.

My '97 works exactly as described above on the '88 model. I think they're all the same. I can shift in and out of 2HI and 4HI at will. To shift in and out from 4HI to 4LO you gotta be going just a few miles an hour and you have to put the transmission in neutral.

I know if you call Techauthority you can get older manuals than listed on the site. In the past 2 years I have purchased a new owners manual for my 88 XJ, I got tired of the pages falling out, with freight it was $10 to my door.

FYI - about 4 Low...

You need to be going that 2 or 3 mph simply so the gears can mesh, go no faster otherwise you will hear an awful sound! Put the Jeep in neutral when you do it, then simply pull the handle from 4 High, through neutral, to 4 Low. Taking it out of 4 Low is the same process.

Martin - You need to get into low range more often!

Back