• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87' with a 2.5L and a 4 speed.

cwuwildcat

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wondering how much lift and what size tires you guys would recomend for an 87 with a 2.5L and a 4 speed. i go wheeling with it almost every weekend but i also go to school 4 hours away and need to get home with it without having too much trouble going over mountain passes. also i dont really want to re-gear or mess with too much else besides the lift.

If you don't want to regear, you don't want to do much at all. The 4-speeds came with 3.54 gears, because 4th gear is a 1:1 ratio, not an overdrive, and they wanted to keep the RPMs down at highway speed. Most 4-speeds probably came with 195/75R15 or maybe 205/75R15 tires. Get much bigger on the tires without regearing, and you won't enjoy those mountain passes.

I'd suggest just a 2" budget boost. You can get budget boost kits (2" lift with add-a-leaf) from Rusty's Off-Road or Rubicon Express (RE). Dunno what to suggest for tires. What are you running now and how well (or how badly) does it handle the mountains? Every size larger equals the same as LESS gear. In general, I'd say one size larger would equate to 3.31s and two or three sizes larger would mean you're running the equivalent of 3.07 gears.

Are you near any other Cherokee owners? The ideal would be if you could swap tires with someone for a day or two so you could try out maybe some 225s or 235s. I don't think you'll want to go any larger than 225 if you're not going to regear, and you may not want anything more than 215s.

well i should have mentioned this earlier, but right now i have 235/75/r15's and a 2in budget boost that came with coil spacers and shackles. and it doesnt do too bad going over the passes as of now. i guess im wondering if i could go with a 3" lift and 31x10.50's. and i would be taking the coil spacers out but probably leaving the shackles on.

Back