• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VIN number for the paint color?

jeepinandy

NAXJA Forum User
what number or letter of the VIN number tells the paint color? i know that you can tell the year by counting over so many numbers. just wondered if it is the same for the paint. or if anyone has the same color and knows the actual color of it 95 sport
4ptts3

THANKS, Andy

jeepinandy said:
what number or letter of the VIN number tells the paint color? i know that you can tell the year by counting over so many numbers. just wondered if it is the same for the paint. or if anyone has the same color and knows the actual color of it 95 sport
4ptts3

THANKS, Andy

Take off your front passenger side door panel....you might find a vehicle building order under it(I did). That should have a # that you can take to the dealer.

jeeppowermj said:
Take off your front passenger side door panel....you might find a vehicle building order under it(I did). That should have a # that you can take to the dealer.

worth a look if noone posts any answers i'll check tomorrow. may check anyway... be nice to have it... thanks for the tip

On my 88 XJ there is a dataplate which has the color info. I open the hood and the data plate is located on the cowl by the driver's fender. The first line is the VIN, the 3rd or 4th line had the color numbers. It is a stamped sheetmetal dataplate and it will be painted the body color, it is welded to the chassis.

Just copy down all the info on that data plate on a 3 x 5 card and go to an automotive paint store and they will be able to tell you what code is your paint color. Even better drive your XJ there and show them the card and offer to have them look for the info if your card did not have the info.

Sorry mate. The vin doesn't tell you the colour of your jeep. Here's what the pattern means though.

by digits

1 manufacturing country
2 company/make
3 type
4 engine type
5 transmission/transfercase
6-7 body style
8 trim package
9 manufacturer assigned
10 model year
11 assembly plant
12-17 sequential serial number