• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help-correct installation of JKS disconnects?

jeepnutdaddy

NAXJA Forum User
Help-if there's anyone in here fast...trying to get my son back on the road home to college-been working on 95 XJ for 2 months-and mechanic that was working on it was fired (and we are finding out why)
should the U bracket for the JKS guick disconnects be mounted with the sway bar 'end' THROUGH the U or should the U be under it?
No installation instructions-he threw them away, and the JKS info (no instructions on their website even thought it SAYS they are there) says
>>>>>>>>>>
Finally, the u-strap is mounted on top of the sway bar. This feature alone forces the u-strap to do most of the heavy work. When lifting the Jeep® on a lift rack, the stored energy in the coil springs and the weight of the axle components transfer to the sway bar mount. If the u-strap is below the sway bar, then all this energy is applied to the bolt which usually snaps off. Obviously, you can see the advantages of putting the u-strap on top of the sway bar.
>>>>>>>>>
anyone got some ideas? Trying to get rid of some real bad lowend 'grinding' noises from the front end.

Although I have seen them installed both ways, the sway bay is supposed to go through the bracket.

Thanks-that's what we needed to know...can't get ahold of samsoffroad.com until later tomorrow to get a fax of the directions.
Son noticed (he thinks) that sway bar may be 'bent'-one side is higher than the other. IF the disconnects are tightened up to compensate-one longer, etc.-this shouldn't cause any problem, should it?

i have mine mounted thru the "U" .i found this on JKS's site.it doesn't state which way it goes .i just looked in my folder of crap and found the installation instructions ,it also states on top.

here is a pic of mine the angle in wrong but it shows you how i have it.i also had to cut down my bar so it might look funny

348swaybar-med.JPG

jeepnutdaddy said:
Thanks-that's what we needed to know...can't get ahold of samsoffroad.com until later tomorrow to get a fax of the directions.
Son noticed (he thinks) that sway bar may be 'bent'-one side is higher than the other. IF the disconnects are tightened up to compensate-one longer, etc.-this shouldn't cause any problem, should it?

Don't think that would be a problem. Just make sure to have the Jeep on level ground with the tires pointing straight forward.

THanks, esp. for the pic-that will show the mechanic how it goes. We'd do it right now but don't have metric allenwrench!
So tomorrow it goes back.
Have to eliminate all the noises until we find what's causing the trouble-and with the U bracket UNDER the sway bar end-it wobbles all around. Nut is sitting in a 'cup' where a bushing would be so it can't be tightened down. That and the dipshoot never greased anything on it...
so thanks again!

Back