• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Questions

leftyatm

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. I have an 01 XJ with an automatic. I am going to replace the fluid and transmission filter. My question is, how tight do i re-torque the filter bolts as well as the pan bolts. See I have a bit of a problem overtightening stuff. I just want to make sure I dont go too loose and let one bolt come out inside the pan or go to tight and snap a head off and be screwed. Any advice would be appreciated.

leftyatm said:
Hey guys. I have an 01 XJ with an automatic. I am going to replace the fluid and transmission filter. My question is, how tight do i re-torque the filter bolts as well as the pan bolts. See I have a bit of a problem overtightening stuff. I just want to make sure I dont go too loose and let one bolt come out inside the pan or go to tight and snap a head off and be screwed. Any advice would be appreciated.

if you plan on doing any work on your own rig - a factory service manual (FSM) will be the most benifical tool in your garage...

1. Snug. Haynes doesn't have a torque so just snug the filter bolts up a bit. Somewhere between 5-10 ft lbs.

2. It's 10ft lbs. as per Haynes. In other words, snug it up a bit but not so much as to push out the gasket. Also, the kits that use the rubber gaskets seem to work way better than the cork ones.

As a side bar, if you break any of these bolts all you need is a drill, correct size drill bit and an extractor and/or thread tap tool.

Pop the $15 and get a service manual! Lots of good info.

Thanks guys I appreciate it. Yea i figured they wouldnt be very tight, but i just wanted to make sure. Yea ive been meaning to get a Haynes manual...i had a 93 5.0 and had a chiltons manual for that and it worked great but they are a lot more $$$. So yea I'll probably just be a cheap bastard and stick with the Haynes

I imagine it's too late, but why change the filter? If you will notice the filter is a screen meant to keep "big chunks" out. I rebuild auto's alot so "big chunks" is a relative term, but the screen does nothing compared to a paper media filter. On my XJ's I just drop the plug when I change the motor oil. Depending on how long it sits that should only be 3-4 quarts of DexII. Between this frequent change and a cooler you should not have to chance the pan leak until 100k. Last time I saw my old '90 XJ it was coming up on 300k so my method seems to work. I understand being thorough, just trying to save you some worry.
Angus

Back