• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard Starting Mystery

Ok here it goes:

XJ has been starting rough like the battery is going, so yesterday tried to start the XJ and nothing. No click, no reverse lights, and no dimming of lights when key is turned to start. Possible NSS right? Well I tapped the starter and NSS lightly with a wrench and hussled to Auto Zone to test the battery. They said it was a bad battery. So I got a new battery and it still starts very rough like it doesn't have enough power. Could the NSS still be causing this or could it be the CPS? Please help. It sounds like everytime I start it that it could be the last time it starts. Thanks

K9Cop,

Sounds like you may have a bad ignition switch. I am talking the switch mounted on the column not the lock cylinder.

Basically all the power goes through this switch. The do wear out.

They do wear out, I'd start there. I changed mine in March 200 miles from home while making a 500 mile trip to St Louis. Do in your driveway where it is much easier than the parts store parking lot.

Martin

Ringkong,
Autozone checked out the alternator when they checked the battery and it is good to go.

Update.........

I tapped on the starter a little harder w/ the wrench and now it starts strong. Is this a dead give away that the starter is going bad?

Autozone checked out the alternator when they checked the battery and it is good to go.

K9Cop said:
Ringkong,

Update.........

I tapped on the starter a little harder w/ the wrench and now it starts strong. Is this a dead give away that the starter is going bad?

My starter died on me. but it gave me no warning. So your lucky.

Replace the starter, or have it checked(maybe it is just lose and not getting a good ground... but I doubt it.) Autozone will do it. Make sure the idiot testing DOESN'T burn up your starter if it is good. Some people have no morals. I watched a guy test a starter and ran it for 45 seconds multipul times... eventualy the motor wiring burned up.. told the guy... "Yep your starter is bad." :rolleyes:

K9Cop said:

Yes

Back