• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1 Key

churky89

NAXJA Forum User
OK,talked to a locksmith,and he said $75.00 a door to rekey and make my XJ
1 key accessable.What year or years XJ have this but WITHOUT airbags.I'm thinkin I can get the locks + ignition cheaper from from a "boneyard" ...

...so does my '98. Good luck in the "boneyard", I've never seen them actually leave the keys in them. You could ask though...

churky89 said:
OK,talked to a locksmith,and he said $75.00 a door to rekey and make my XJ
1 key accessable.What year or years XJ have this but WITHOUT airbags.I'm thinkin I can get the locks + ignition cheaper from from a "boneyard" ...
What year is your rig?

89' XJ Pioneer 4dr
4.0 I6 242
Slowly dissintegrating on a daily basis... :laugh3:

$75 per door is too much. I asked two locksmiths in the New Haven, CT, area (not a low-budget location) and both said $20 per cylinder.

Here's the deal. Your XJ has two different keyways, A3 and A4. One is ignition, one os doors. Despite the difference, the ignition key will fit the door cylinders, but the door key won't fit the ignition. The locksmiths said as long as the ignition key fits into the door locks, they can rekey the door cylinders to work with the ignition key.

Don't forget that the hatch uses the same key as the doors, so that should be rekeyed also.

Start by confirming that your ignition key will go into your door locks. It does on both my 88 XJ and my 88 MJ.

Find the best ignition key you can, preferably an original. Copies lose a bit of accuracy every time, so the 'smith will do better with an original key (unless it's all worn down, in which case it doesn't matter if it's original or a copy).

Re: Trndrvr

my '94 uses one key. It was the last year for the non-airbag steering wheel.

Good luck finding one with the key still in the ignition at a boneyard though. A lot of one's i've seen have had the whole steering column pulled.

jeeppowermj said:
He was replying to the george bush in traindrivers avatar. notice how it says RE: Trndrvr as the title.

LMAO, I had never noticed it was W in that avatar....[I figured it was a self portrait :D] damn....

jeeppowermj said:
He was replying to the george bush in traindrivers avatar. notice how it says RE: Trndrvr as the title.

BINGO! (you're a good man...)
dude.gif

idahjo said:
[Concerning] your photograph in the top-left corner of your post: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/wsp617/donkey.gif

NOTE: a good place for " POLITICAL" posts:
http://forums.gunbroker.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=5political
Yeah, it's a great avatar, isn't it?
churky89 said:
89' XJ Pioneer 4dr
4.0 I6 242
Slowly dissintegrating on a daily basis... :laugh3:
Getting back on topic, to get your 89 keyed to one key, the most pratical way, is to get a new uncoded ignition clylinder with a universal keyway and have it keyed to your door key. In the end, your round door key will also work your ignition. DON'T pay $75.00 a lock to have anything done on your XJ. I don't know what they're quoting you on, but whatever it is, it's not worth $75.00.

Dan.

I don't understand the one key "need". With the 2 key system there is an added measure of security if you lose only the door key, they won't be abel to start the vehicle.

I would stay with the 2 key system, those GM style keys are part of the AMC heritage of your vehicle. It also pretty cool to take my 88 XJ to the tire store to rotate the tires and the 19 year old stops me and tells me "sir, you sure you gave me the right keys?" I tell him "yes I did" he gets this look like I am messing with him... then I reply "It is AMC, not Chrysler" and walk away.

The $75 fee may be for the complete job, not just the lock cylinder keyed. The local shop wanted $38 to remove the lock, or that what I heard while I was there having a new door lock keyed.

I think I'd spend my effort on other stuff and use the 2 key system.

Back