• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with clearing OBD1

EdgarNYU

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
Very new XJ owner here. I have a 91 cherokee w/30K on rebuilt engine(150K total). A "MTN REQD" light on the left of the dash is always on. I tried to clear by disconnecting the battery for a while and also the 50x on-off key technique. NO DICE!

I need to inspect and fix stuff but this seems like a lost cause. Jeep dealer says it is something worth looking into.

Can anyone help so I can get wheelin' already?

Thanks

Not to belabor the obvious, but it won't clear if you haven't fixed the problem. What was the code for?

Turn the key on, off, on, off, on - then read the blinking light for the codes. The codes are each two digits. You will get a code 12 if the battery has recently been disconnected, and a 55 for end of sequence. All others are significant. The following sites will give the meanings of the codes.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/fault/index.html

That light is controlled by a timer(odo) function in the ECU to indicate that the O2 sensor 'needs' to be replaced. Needs a OBD tool to clear.

It comes on at (every) 85K(?).

Matthew Currie said:
Are you sure that's true on a 91?
91% sure. :D

Reconfirmed with 91 FSM:

-technically referred to as EMR(emission maintenance reminder)
-comes on at 82.5K m or 133K km (intervals)
-acts as reminder to owner to have O2 sensor and 'other' emission maintenance performed
-cleared with OBDII tool

as far as i know most OBDII tools won't work on an OBDI car .differnet interface altoghter.not say that you can't find one but i'm saying most will not work on the other.

like i have stated in a few other threads go to a local parts store.Autozone,PartsPlus,places like this.they have scanners and will be more than happy to scan you crap to try and sell you parts,and they do it for free.

Wil Badger,

I think that is a great idea too. I will trry to find a big auto place like those to do it for free BUT... will they clear it ?

Also, did the on off diagnostic and got 1-2 and 5-5. So nothing there, right?

Will the auto zone or pep boys tell me something different?

EdgarNYU said:
Wil Badger,

I think that is a great idea too. I will trry to find a big auto place like those to do it for free BUT... will they clear it ?

Also, did the on off diagnostic and got 1-2 and 5-5. So nothing there, right?

Will the auto zone or pep boys tell me something different?

1-2 and 5-5 means you're fine on diagnostics. One option if it's a different light from the OBD "check engine" light, is to get into the cluster and simply remove that bulb. It will never bother you again. Don't do this if it uses the same light as the OBD, of course, because that is very helpful to have working.

matthew,

Thanks. I won't take out that bulb for sure.

You won'tbelieve this. I tried in vain to find the little 3"x3" box so I can unplug the MAINT REQD light and didn't find it.

I went to take off the bulb and try to pry or unscrew the bulb by removing the dash and cover, VOILA!

No more light.

One thing I don't get is that I only touched the plastic and not the bulb. No explanation as to why it doesn't turn on. Bulb is still in.

As my uncle Fausto always used to say, "Don't look a gift llama in the mouth. It may spit on you." :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

She PASSED!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again to everyone here. I really appreciate all your inputs and advice from knowledge and personal experience. I am getting certain things on my XJ looked at but then...

Next stop : PARAGON ADVENTURE PARK

My brother has got to fell what it's like to be 'offroad'.

My best to all.

Sincerely,

Edgar

Back