• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not sure this goes here but what the hey...

jeepcherokee95

NAXJA Forum User
The gutter rail on the driver side front of my 95 xj is loose, loose like it comes off! (not all, just the first 18" or so.)

What is the proceedure to get it on and keep it on? Do you have to spot weld it or is it a "pinch" type seam?

Thanks for the input.

JC95

I think it's pinched but not really sure. :dunno: I would like to see some pics if you got em'.

It's held on by clips, with sealant as an added measure. The FSM doesn't specify just what sort of sealant. I'm not sure if it's possible to get the thing to reseat once it's been damaged or popped off without new clips. I never had much luck. You can try crimping it on, but it will bend the molding and it will never look quite right. On the other hand, I find it looks better than duct tape.

Just to clarify what your talking about, the part above the windows that stick out?

If it is, mine on the passenger side RUSTED (orig. a NYC vehicle) and would pop loose on any decent sized bump and make a god aweful screetch. Some Indoor/Outdoor waterproof Loctite Silicone did the trick. Make sure you do it on a decnet day, cause the stuff takes 3 hours to dry enough to hold it's own, but 24 hours to completely dry.

Matthew Currie said:
It's held on by clips, with sealant as an added measure. The FSM doesn't specify just what sort of sealant. I'm not sure if it's possible to get the thing to reseat once it's been damaged or popped off without new clips. I never had much luck. You can try crimping it on, but it will bend the molding and it will never look quite right. On the other hand, I find it looks better than duct tape.

Just trying to learn here...are the clips visible or is the sealant covering them?

Matthew Currie said:

i took a pair of channel locks and crimped mine.. works great and hardly noticible... i just crimp the top part down not the down part up... worked for me

jeepcherokee95 said:
Can take pics but not sure how to post them here, if someone would give me instructions I will post.

Thanks for the replies!

JC95

Take the pics and download them to your computer. Then go to http://www.imageshack.ws/ and host them for free. Once you host them, you will get a number of links. I usually just take the bottom link. Copy the link from their site and paste it into here.

Back