• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dumb ball joint question

TBCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
the ball joints on the steering linkage, that you grease threw the zerks. and swells like the little ball.
are they suppose to slowly oooz the grease out? and keep the fittings littly wet and greased?

and i have on that is by the driver side tire near the bumb stop that when i grease it the grease just pours back out under neath it . is this tore or broken.?
i took it to a dealer to get it fixed and all they did was say the rubber popped out and they tucked it back in? well i thought that sounded stupid.
so when i got home i greased it again! and behold it ran right out even with the rubber tucked back in.

any one know an easy way to fix this yourself?

or should i just go to a better mechanic?

thanks

some people say that the ooze is a bad thing. The way I do it, I grease it just enough to where a little bit comes out. I haven't had any problems, so you shouldn't worry too much.

It's been filled too much and popped the rubber boot. You just want to see it swell a little. If it ozzes out then water can ozze in! I started greasing cars when they had more zerks then our xj's and was in instructed to do it that way.

JoBo

Back