• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lebaron hood vents at an angle??

ROKTAXI

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a set of Lebaron hood vents ready for installation and searched for pics and info of someone who has put them in at an angle. No luck. I've heard complaints that the hot air is directed into the vent below the windshield and that installing them at an angle helps somewhat to redirect the hot air. Seems you can't turn the vent control on in the passenger compartment as you'll get blasted with hot air. Does anyone have some thoughts on this?
Thanks

what do you mean by angle?

If you look under the hood there are 2 cross braces that are at about a 45 degree angle to the hood. I thought of running them at the same angle. Most installations are done running the length of the hood.

Hmmm. So wouldnt that weaken the hood itself? You would have to cut more of the hood then.

It doesn't appear that it would but that's why I'm asking if anyone out there has installed them that way. I like the idea of directing some of the hot air away from the windshield but don't know how affective it is and if it's worth doing it... if for nothing else, it looks different.

Well, i dunno how bad it would weaken the hood or if it even will but i would go ahead and install them in at the angle. whats the worst that could happen, buyin a new hood if it doesnt work?

Menezes, cutting the support braces wasn't even mentioned, and unless you cut into the braces, you're not weakening the hood structure or making larger holes any more than if the vents were installed conventionally. As for the original question--the LeBaron vents are awefully large IMO. Considering their size, they do have to be placed more rearward on the hood than others, and in doing so, you may get heat recirculating into the cabin air. I can't imagine it would be too bad, though. I've been trying to find smaller vents than the LeBarons, so I can put them near the front (think UK Orvis edition). That way the expelled heat can't recirculate into my cowl snorkel.

It's beginning to sound like a personal preference thing. I know the Lebaron vents are a on the big side, but I live in a HOT climate zone and need to minimize under-hood temperature. I was hoping for some pics and comments from someone that has done that type of installation.

Appreciate the comments so far.

aardvark4x4 said:
Why not get louvres punched direct into the hood, a custom bodyshop could do it no problem.
Good idea. I just can't think of any place local that would do that. I think a special machine is required for punching louvres. I did read, either here or somewhere else online, about a guy making cuts with an angle grinder or Dremel, and prying them upward with pliers and claiming decent-looking results.

I thought that someone had posted a link to a marine supplier for vents intended to install in through the fenders? Ala trans ams, almost.

I picked up a set of hood vents from an early (84-88) Firebird and the vent's are similiar to the Lebaron vents, but the louvers themselves vent to the side unlike the Lebaron vents to the top. I have both and haven't decided which to run yet.

I'm running Z-24 vents across the hood right behind the radiator. I can see & feel a lot of heat coming out. JIM.

Back