• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cheepo light bar

waggy

NAXJA Forum User
for all the cheepos out there this one is for you . for a cheep light bar go to a wreckers and get a matching roof rack bars.take the bar and the clips ,which slide into the rail . unbolt the rail on your roof and slide in the new clips. re-attach the rail . take the bar and drill holes into the bar for the lights you want to use . install the lights on the bar and run the wiring where you want to put it. if you want fab up a quick disconect so you can remove the electrical and unscrew the bar to take it off. i have installed 3 extra bars on my xj .one for lights one for my hi lift (which i have to make brackets for ) and 2 factory ones which i strap down my spare onto . i still have one more which i dont know what to use it for .any ideas added to this woud be great or any cheap buildup ideas .cheers jamie

Thats not just a cheap way of doing it, but an easier way of losing the light bar against a tree. It falls in the same catagory as a moon visor. If you want to still save money and make it a little more durable.

Order a set of WP gutter mounts for a roof basket. Buy a peice of flat stock steel and then drill your holes. It will hold up alot better than the roof rack method, and looks less cheap too.

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBMmLJy4atXIA

that is pics of my factory roof rack turned light bar. I think it looks about at factory as your gonna get. I just bent it straight and drilled it.

As a complete side bonus, I have the lights pointed down in front of the jeep on the trail, but as I pick up speed on the back roads, the wind pushes on the lights rotating them up to perfect position, the faster I go, the farther out they shine.... however at about 75 they leave the pavement and at REALLY high speeds look more like a landing area! LOL

Jason

Back