• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cracked valve spring retainer

xDUMPTRUCKx

NAXJA Forum User
after following dr. dynos page on how to reindex a distributer i poped the valve cover of my 86 2.5 to see on the number one piston a cracked valve spring retainer! could this be causeing the out of timing like symptoms? what caused this? is there more i should be worried about?

A cracked valve spring retainer could cause the spring to lose some tension and prevent it from closing the valve fully. The result would be a loss of compression (and power) from that cylinder.
What could have caused the retainer to crack? Probably old age i.e. metal fatigue.

funny thing is that all the retainers were brand new, oh well, manufacturing defect or something, now to find a new one, impossible, i cant find one anywhere, i leave in 10 days for boot camp and i have to have this thing running!

WHO HAS SOME SORT OF IDEAD WHERE I CAN FIND A VALVE SPRING RETAINER FOR MY JEEP 86 2.5, all the pick a parts have nothing, im going insane i need a fix asap! please help me guys!

Back