• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 doesn't select out of part time easily?

XJXJ

NAXJA Forum User
'89 4.0, auto, w/NP242 tc. Any info about the 4x4 selector would be helpful since mine has been getting very difficult to get out of part time. When it's cold it often stops in part-time on the way to full-time even though the selector is in full-time. Going back to 2x4 from either PT/FT is getting to be a hassle.

Warmed-up it's a little better. Taking foot off throttle sometimes helps and/or hitting bumps will let it return. Backing-up also seems to help but lately it's been getting worse and I'm looking for places to qualify?

Lotsa miles (260k) on it...

TIA

Not unusual. Owners manual recommends 'hitting' the gas twice to help shift.

Uneven tire pressure, uneven loading, bidding, etc all contribute.

Do a search.

Lou said:
Do a search.

I did but it's a hard topic to search. Whaddya call this problem? NP242 4x4 selector? Four wheel drive? 4 wheel drive? 4-wheel drive? I got a dozens of pages about vibration and "what TC do I have?" for results but nothing about the selector mechanism.

I've driven this XJ 180k miles so I'm used to the "norm" of how it works but this is not "normal". It's getting more and more difficult so I suspect something's not quite right and needs attention.

I do thank you for the reply.

try this

shift it while rolling ahead between 10-30mph.... shift tranny into N, and then try shifting 4X4 into 2WD. shift it hard and fast into 2wd. then pop tranny back into D and tap the gas...it should pop back into 2wd

Thanks for all the good advice. Yes, using neutral and/or more aggressive throttle useage seems to help. I will also check the linkage adjustment as I can feel something beyond the hand lever not moving into position when it acts like this. Do a lube service, etc.

No worries Lou, it's one of those weird/difficult terms to format for search.

Much appreciated...

Back