• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31x10.5's on STOCK rims?

KingOfTheHill

NAXJA Forum User
i just got my lift all finished up... (LOOKS GOOD!) yes its only a 3" and i just ordered my tires today... question is if i can get away with my stock rims or not?

i dont do lots of wheeling.... some of my hobbies require some offroading to get there and thats the extent of it (untill it rains, i love the mud).... this is my DD and im just running low on funds right now....

does this work? or is there gonna be problems?

also, if i go with some cheapy black rims whats the dimensions i need? i dont know crap about rims and want to do it once and do it right.... thanks for all the help

JOe

I am also running stock rims with 31x10.50's with a 3.5"RE lift. Tires are a bit close to the leafs but other than that they work.

I have the same lift ...I am looking into getting 397 soft 8's ...I was thinking of running stock for a while too till I saw the price n the 397's. THey are in quadratec for about $30 each

Last edited:
yes, it's works fine

THANKS EVERYONE!
totally stoked right now just gonna keep the stockies for a while i guess....

lift is done, trackbar on, tires ordered... man, i cant wait

JOe

I ran 31x10.5's on stock wheels rubbed LCA's at full crank no trouble at all on rear other than being a little close to leaf springs.

Despite a bit of rubbing on the lower control arms at full steering lock, stock rims are still probably the best rims for 31x10.50 tires. On stock rims those tires will still stuff inside the sheet metal. Aftermarket rims all have less backspacing, which means the tires contact the flares or fenders when the suspension compresses.

KingOfTheHill said:
i just got my lift all finished up... (LOOKS GOOD!) yes its only a 3" and i just ordered my tires today... question is if i can get away with my stock rims or not?

i dont do lots of wheeling.... some of my hobbies require some offroading to get there and thats the extent of it (untill it rains, i love the mud).... this is my DD and im just running low on funds right now....

does this work? or is there gonna be problems?

also, if i go with some cheapy black rims whats the dimensions i need? i dont know crap about rims and want to do it once and do it right.... thanks for all the help

JOe

Up until this last month, I ran 32x11.50's on stock rim's with a 4.5" RE lift, and while I rubbed a little in a few spots, it worked fine. The tires tucked -just right- under the fenders and would rub just a hair above the spring tower. The rear had no problem at all.

http://shell.exo.com/~cal/offroad/03-06-05/DSC00434.JPG
http://shell.exo.com/~cal/offroad/03-06-05/DSC00435.JPG

.. 32's tucking on stock rims.

They rubbed the lower control arm, and my factory skid.

here is my 98 with 31s on stock rims...

My_XJ.jpg

Eagle said:
Despite a bit of rubbing on the lower control arms at full steering lock, stock rims are still probably the best rims for 31x10.50 tires. On stock rims those tires will still stuff inside the sheet metal. Aftermarket rims all have less backspacing, which means the tires contact the flares or fenders when the suspension compresses.

Not entirely true, I ran stockers with my 31's and yeah they stuffed with no clearance problems, they also rubbed on the control arms. I run wheels with 3.75" backspacing now and they still stuff inside the fenders. (with a 3" lift)

WobblesXJ said:
Not entirely true, I ran stockers with my 31's and yeah they stuffed with no clearance problems, they also rubbed on the control arms. I run wheels with 3.75" backspacing now and they still stuff inside the fenders. (with a 3" lift)
I have to say Wobbles, I find that pretty hard to believe. I'm sure they rubbed the control arms, but my stockers with 31's on 3" of lift barely cleared the fenders when stuffed. Island XJ's 31's with 4.5" backspacing on 3" of lift rubbed on the fenders at full stuff. Got any pics to show what you mean?

GSequoia said:
Will I be seeing you in Big Bear Joe?

Sequoia

PS - 31's on stockers here too :)

believe me im trying!.... lol....

money is just not being my friend right now....

i STILL need front tow points, snatch strap.... i think thats it.... i hope i can come up with a front tow point somehow....

JOe

Back