• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rounded lug nut

hammerhead

NAXJA Forum User
Rounded off a lug nut on the drivers side rear.
Took a easyoff reverse lug nut remover socket to it, Lug nut broke off at the start of the stud.
In other words the business half of it is still there from the tip of the stud to the wheel.
Ive got those factory aluminum wheels where the studs are inset about 2 inches.
I'm gonna have to drill the stud and rest of the nut out, anybody had to do this before? and whats the best size drill bit to use? Any tips are appreciated.

Yes I've done it more than once. The wheel lug is a 1/2x20 thread. Use a small (1/8) drill to start and make sur you get the hole fairly centered. Then step up to a 1/4 or 1/2. Have fun.

explorer said:
Yes I've done it more than once. The wheel lug is a 1/2x20 thread. Use a small (1/8) drill to start and make sur you get the hole fairly centered. Then step up to a 1/4 or 1/2. Have fun.
Oh boy I was afraid this was gonna be fun!
Thanks fot the info.

Make sure you center punch the stud before starting to drill it out. This will help to keep it centered. Use a lot of cutting oil while drilling to help prevent breaking of the drill bit. If possible, have someone spot the drill, from the side,to you keep it level while drilling.

lazyxj said:
Make sure you center punch the stud before starting to drill it out. This will help to keep it centered. Use a lot of cutting oil while drilling to help prevent breaking of the drill bit. If possible, have someone spot the drill, from the side,to you keep it level while drilling.

Good point bout getting some one to spot for me
Thank you

yeah a spotter is a great idea.

make sure you done upsize your drill bits too fast..

I usually skip a size or two max..on the important jobs, it takes longer but is easier in the end...I think anyways

and have sharp bits..with cutting fluid !

it makes a big difference...

also ..and others can correct me if I am wrong..but a medium high speed on the drill with steady pressure is the most effective...not full out with the drill..

just my .02

morgan

morgoon said:
also ..and others can correct me if I am wrong..but a medium high speed on the drill with steady pressure is the most effective...not full out with the drill..
Even slower than that if possible - a nice, slow, steady pace with lots of lube to cool it. If you can get a good spiral of metal coming off it, stay with it...even speed and pressure and keep the bit cool.

I'm not so sure of the advantage of going in a bunch of steps.
I just drilled out the front spring mount bolt. I went through with
1/4 then 1/2 with no trouble.
Key is steady slow speed and *lots* of pressure. Pretty much as much
force as you can manage with a big drill like that. If you arenet seeing metal
coming out continuously you arent doing it right. A good sharp bit is essential
too.

I like to use air drills ..... if/whenever possible....because of their slower speeds and control. My second preference is a good DeWalt/Makita cordless drill. I have 3 or 4 spare batteries for all my cordless tools...so I don't have to worry about them running down on me. I keep them on a charging rotation when I'm using them.

I owned an exhaust shop for around 5 yrs...so I've had to drill out lots of bolts. If the air drill will fit in the area where the bolt is broken off....I'll use the air drill just about every time. I just like the slower...steady drilling, so I can see if it's working/walking it's way off-center, or any other problems that can come up. I've dulled/broken fewer drill bits with the air drill...or with a good Makita/DeWalt cordless drill than with my 1/2 electric drills. It's really all in what works best for you though.

I also recommend going up in fairly small increments. Sure, it takes more time, but it's definitely the safest way to drill things out. If you go up too fast in bit size, you take more chances in breaking off the drill bit...or you dull your bits faster...at the very least. We all know that NOBODY likes trying to drill out, or otherwise remove, a hardened drill bit...what a PITA!

I use cutting oil as well. I have some oil that I think Lucas Oil products used to make...before they got bigger/well known....and it works better than any other cutting/cooling oil that I've ever used. I think it says Cool Tool II or something like that on the bottle.

Aron

YEAH yucca man

you are bang on about drill speed

I only used an 1/2" air drill for all my metal work...when building my flatfender just cause it was so slow and powerful :):)

I even got to go for a couple of short rides with the drill when I was rushing it, skipping sizes too fast, and the big 1/2 bit would snag...

safety...big time anytime...if you go up incrementally...you won't get your drill bit snaged and have a "violent" unexpected twist from the drill

yeah med high is way to fast...for an electric drill

I just moved, became a student again and have a shed...not a shop now :(

I am a bit out of touch...LONG winter here in Thunder Bay Ontario

so...thanks for the correction...

I totally knew better than that

Morgoon

Well I had some free time this afternoon so I started on that damned stud.
started out with a eighth inch bit and went incrementally up to a half inch using plenty of cutting oil.
Broke one bit and trashed every other one I had
in the tool box, cordless drill took a dump on me so I had to switch to my old 3/8 electric Black & Decker but I got her out and the wheel an tire off,
now to replace that fricken stud or whats left of it.
Thanks to all you guys for your help!!

Back