• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 or 8.8?

kunaji

Essayons
In the near future I'm going to be upgrading the axles in my '89 Cherokee. After some research I've come up with two options that I think will be best for me: either buy an XJ Dana 44 housing thats missing an axle or find an 8.8 with disc brakes and 4.11 gears.

The Dana 44 I can get for less than $150 but it is missing an axle and brake hardware on one side. I figure the brakes aren't that big of a deal because I plan on converting to discs and regearing to 4.10 before installation. This option I'd be spending more money on getting the axle and re-gearing, but I would be able to bolt it in right after that part was taken care of. The yard that has the 44 also has a ZJ axle next to it to grab the parts to switch to discs so I could probably get most of what I need for cheap.

The 8.8 I can get for about $350. After I bought the axle I would still need to get spring perches and such welded on the axle in order to finally bolt the axle in, plus any wheel spacers or driveshaft mods that are required to install the axle.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Dana 44 as being my choice, especially if I can locate another one that isn't missing the shaft. My plans for the XJ include tires up to 32's and it sees mostly mud. I'm interested in what you guys think are the pro's and con's of each axle and which you think would be my best option.

Thanks,
Matt

i'd do the d-44,

lots of locker choices,
no c-clips,
strong " authough not as strong as 8.8",
easier swap " no welding required"
correct width
tj d-44 shafts work in these axles and lockers
larger drum breaks than most cherokee's

i bought my xj 44 for less than i could get an 8.8 ($350+brackets/flange adapter/welding) but i guess thats just around here! $250

for the money i would have spent on a 8.8 i could have gotten the d-44, and put disc breaks on the 44

i couldnt weld at the time i did the swap.. so now that would have cut down on the 8.8 cost.. but it still would have cost more than the dana 44.

Last edited:
8.8 - the brake hardware for the d44 is quite specific and costly...

and IMO the 8.8 is stronger...
aftermarket suport on both axles is a toss up...

buying the new axles will make you want to upgrade to alloy's and there is more bling...

8.8 parts are in every junkyard and most parts stores - XJ d44 parts = hard to find...

I'm with xj_ranger. You can get 8.8 parts -anywhere-, and since they arent "jeep" parts, you dont get hit as hard at the junkyards. There is less demand for explorer axles (cuz they never break..) and you find a lot more totalled explorers than you do 87 xj's in the junkyards.

It's a bit more cost up front, but you get an axle thats already setup for rear disc brakes, stronger, only 1/2" off width on each side, and you have the option of running the Auburn Ected diff. carrier. *drool*

-Cal

jjvande said:
cough...c-cllips...cough

or shell out some dough for eliminators

break an axleshaft with the 8.8 and your axle will still stay in with disc brake callipers holding it there...

break an axleshaft with the d44 and it will stay there via the bearing...

whatever - a broken shaft sux, but either way you get to the trailhead...

cal said:
It's a bit more cost up front, but you get an axle thats already setup for rear disc brakes, stronger, only 1/2" off width on each side, and you have the option of running the Auburn Ected diff. carrier. *drool*

-Cal

3/8" actualy

BUT all my advice is based on my opinions - i went with a ford 9"

XJ_ranger said:
BUT all my advice is based on my opinions - i went with a ford 9"

My advice too, is based on my opinions. Next year I plan on doing an 8.8" rear with d30 front, ECTED carriers front and rear. For the time being I am picking up a 29 spline 8.25 geared and locked, $300. That should get me by for now.. ;)

Back