• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

intermitten wipers work when they wanna

blue95xj

<---- Brrrrrrrr!
Alright here it goes I bought a '95 xj a year ago april 3 and my intermitten wipers have only work once or twice but when i didn't need them. when i turn them on the first noch they go at the slow speed and continue on the speed until i get to the fast noch also when they were working they would cut out now and then. Do you think its the switch, loose wire, or something else?

Its probably the switch or the connection inside the steering colomn . My 94' is doing a similar thing . But on mine it leads me to believe its in the colomn because whenever I have the wipers on and I either put on the turn signal or switch from low beam to high beam for the lights the wipers will completly stop for a secord or 2 then go back to normal.

It's likely the intermittent wiper control box under the dash. I recently replaced mine for similar problems. It would work when cold and then start to skip the intermittent part when warm.

The control unit is on the left side of the column, under the dash, velcroed in place. Unplug the box and then plug the two ends together. Then run your wipers. If the wipers work as designed, albeit without the intermittent, the problem is the intermittent control.

I got mine from the wrecking yard out of a newer model with low miles for $10. Dealers around here get ~$45 for a new one.

HTH

John

Back