• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lost reverse

john

NAXJA Forum User
my 88 with automatic and 150k lost reverse yesterday. it had been shuddering for about a month when I put it in reverse and would not have enough power to reverse uphill. now it acts as if it in neutral when in reverse. fluid is at correct level and dosent smell burnt. anyone have some suggestions thank you

My '88 is doing the same thing right now. Reverse is dying.

I have shuddering in forward with easy throttle and OK when flooring it too. Sometimes it dies and is hard to start. It shudders more when turning to the right, but stops shuddering when turning to the left. Go figure.:confused:

HELP!!! Gary.

You could have a solenoid stuck blocking rev operation. There is no reverse sol but if one of the forward ones is stuck you wont have reverse.
Try it with the TCU unplugged.

YosemiteXJ said:
Sorry, but where and what is the TCU? Help an old guy out...

Gary
TCU is the electronic control for your transmission. It is under the lower dash panel, right about where your passengers' knees would be.

Back