• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Annoying noises from brakes after putting '87 axle in an '01 XJ

DrC

NAXJA Member #1092
I've recently swapped axles from my '87 XJ into my '01 model, but kept the '01 calipers. Now I'm getting annoying rasping/grinding sounds that become even louder and more aggravating when turning. I think this may be due to the rotor coming into contact the dust protector, or maybe the caliper contacting the rotor. Are the '01 calipers compatible with the '87 rotors?

I've pushed the dust protector in as much as I could w/o removing the calipers and rotors and doing a more complete job of it, but it didn't reduce the grinding noises much. With the tires off, if I pull the rotor away from the dust protector just a fraction and then rotate the wheel, the noise is almost completely gone.

Has anyone else ever run into this? Any suggestions about what it might be, or how to remedy?

thx
-don

DrC said:
I've recently swapped axles from my '87 XJ into my '01 model, but kept the '01 calipers. Now I'm getting annoying rasping/grinding sounds that become even louder and more aggravating when turning. I think this may be due to the rotor coming into contact the dust protector, or maybe the caliper contacting the rotor. Are the '01 calipers compatible with the '87 rotors?

I've pushed the dust protector in as much as I could w/o removing the calipers and rotors and doing a more complete job of it, but it didn't reduce the grinding noises much. With the tires off, if I pull the rotor away from the dust protector just a fraction and then rotate the wheel, the noise is almost completely gone.

Has anyone else ever run into this? Any suggestions about what it might be, or how to remedy?

thx
-don

see here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54436 You have a reverse scenario, but in general I think you'll have to swap the knuckles in order to retain the calipers.

Ugh. I was hoping I wouldn't have to swap the knuckles. :-( Thx for pointer to the old post...I'll check into that more.

Back